LaunchBox Community Forums

Problem with metadata and images

Another-Life

Hello, I just installed Launchbox and it is pretty good so far, I plan on setting up all of my roms eventually! I imported my Mega Drive collection with the default options (no wikipedia, no emumovies) but only half got recognised and had their images downloaded. When I go and edit one of the unrecognised games and do a search metadata it actually finds it, sometimes it's only one result. For example Alien 3 was unrecognised, I edited it, did a search metadata and it came up with [LaunchBoxDB] Alien 3 etc etc. Same with other games. I choose that and then download images and all is well. But why can't it do the same in bulk? I tried doing a Tools->Download Metadata and images but it goes through the unrecognised games one by one without actually downloading anything. Second problem: Kega Fusion should also have the Sega Mega Drive system auto-attached to it. Third problem: Downloading the installer was at a speed of 20kb/sec ouch! It took quite a while.

Try renaming your platform to Sega Genesis, that is the default name and any other name (as you saw) can still get metadata, but it can be off. Some games may also not have data too and more is being added soon as our Database is now open for editing metadata and images. Adding games entirely is coming soon. Alien 3 is special as it has a superscript 3 and breaks importing. It's in our moderation queue to replace the superscript 3 with a regular 3 for all versions of Alien 3 so that it scrapes properly. Otherwise try changing the platform with Bulk Editing and see if that finds more through Downloading Images and Metadata. To bulk edit, click a game then hit Ctrl + A to highlight everything, then right click a game and edit. The associated platform doesn't matter much unless you want to add default command line parameters there or use RetroArch which is what we suggest. However, our default naming convention is Sega Genesis. The associated platform's list also only matters when you check the default box for import, otherwise like I said, the only other scenario is for command and RetroArch. The server could have been under a heavy load or fluctuating at some point down the line during that time or your internet connection was wavering. Sometimes there's nothing we can do about it. If you got any more questions please feel free to ask.

You are right, I went to Tools->Manage platforms and renamed Sega Mega Drive to Sega Genesis and then did a bulk check as before and now the rest of the games are getting recognised and the their images downloaded. That's going to take a while, then I'll check out for any strugglers :D The reason I added a platform to my emulator is because every time I edited a game from the ones that weren't recognised I would get a notice about setting up an emulator... I hope these little issues with this platform having two names and messing up the metadata search and the one with Kega Fusion not assigned both names can be fixed. Because non-expert users may be stumped.

SentaiBrad said Well that's why we instruct users to generally just use the default names from the Drop down box when importing or adding platforms. You can change the platform name afterwards if you want as well.
Well, that's what I did when I imported my rom folder, I chose Sega Mega Drive from the drop down list of the default platforms. Maybe you should have a merged "Sega Genesis (Mega Drive)" platform so the search works properly. Or some other workaround.

Oh it is there? I had thought it wasn't... We do have a list set up for alternate scraping, so since you used Mega Drive, it tried scraping Genesis games. Sadly due to the nature of scraping it's not completely accurate. We need to take a look at our list of platforms and potentially revise it. Irregardless I am sorry you were having issues and I am glad you got it up and running.

It was easy to fix but it should work out of the box for the newbies. Now I imported my CPS-2 roms and configured Final Burn Alpha as an emulator. These roms aren't simply "1 zip for 1 game" like usual, it's weird stuff, I think some zips have the bios, others the game data etc. It's multiple zips for each game. Is it normal that only very few games got recognised? Can I do something about this? Also I have a bug report. For FBA I had to use the "use only the filename without extension and folder path" checkbox. But the sample command shows: fba.exe "FULL\PATH\TO\ROM\FILE" which is confusing. It should be something like fba.exe "filename_without_extension"

That would be the MAME / Arcade scraping. I would import as Arcade so you can use the MAME importer (you can also check a box during import to force use the MAME metadata) then you can Bulk Edit the platform back to CPS2. Tomorrow's Tutorial is actually about Arcade. It'll be up at 10AM PST if you want to see it on our channel. Click the link in my signature to get there. The tutorial should answer most questions you might have on Arcade / MAME.

Yes everything should have a name that you import but it may not necessarily have images associated with it. We are working on a tiered system so other images will be used to fill in gaps, but in the mean time it's dependent on the Database we have. If you have games that are not recognized, i.e. their name is like... tbd123 or something and not a real title, you'll need to run the importer again with the proper MAME import box checked or using the Arcade platform as a name so you can get that import screen and try again.