LaunchBox Community Forums

EPSXE Return back to emulator and not exit.

djweevil

I have my emulators setup to exit to the emulator. IE so I can use all of it's features. Cheats saves etc. By default the escape key made it so you could change settings in the emulator then resume the game. I see when you hit escape the psx emu closes now. How can I make it escape back to itself so i can access it's settings during gameplay ? I would also like to add that I have convereted all my psx isos to pbp files to save hdd space. So to switch to the next disc i need to use the gui.

@djweevil The problem is that in order to get ePSXe to launch a specific game immediately upon launch (i.e. in order to launch a game in your LB library), it needs to be using the -nogui command line parameter - it is impossible to get to the gui at that point. Without that command line parameter, any game you launch will simply load up the ePSXe gui and not actually launch a specific game. If you're really stuck on using ePSXe and you have to have access to the gui, you'd have to remove the -nogui command line parameter, at which point all your game entries would effectively just serve as a shortcut to launch ePSXe itself (which obviously isn't particularly useful). My suggestion would be to look into Retroarch / Mednafen PSX. As a recovering ePSXe user, I can tell you it's far far superior. It's highly accurate and as a bonus you get access to all the great features of Retroarch.

If you need help with setting up RetroArch, our channel has tutorials for almost every single major system, including the PS1. Click the link in my signature or the tutorials button at the top of the forums. I would suggest RetroArch too. It's a bit daunting at first, but all of the same features and more exist.

Zombeaver said @djweevil The problem is that in order to get ePSXe to launch a specific game immediately upon launch (i.e. in order to launch a game in your LB library), it needs to be using the -nogui command line parameter - it is impossible to get to the gui at that point. Without that command line parameter, any game you launch will simply load up the ePSXe gui and not actually launch a specific game. If you're really stuck on using ePSXe and you have to have access to the gui, you'd have to remove the -nogui command line parameter, at which point all your game entries would effectively just serve as a shortcut to launch ePSXe itself (which obviously isn't particularly useful). My suggestion would be to look into Retroarch / Mednafen PSX. As a recovering ePSXe user, I can tell you it's far far superior. It's highly accurate and as a bonus you get access to all the great features of Retroarch.
Does Retroarch / Mednafen PSX happen to support pbp files and will it allow me to switch to the next disc inside that file. I tried to also use another psx emu that supported the file type but it cannot see the other discs inside the file. Also does it support save states and cheats ? Sorry I've answered my own question it does not currently support that file type.

OK So here is my temp work around. if you launch epsxe with the gui ie delete the command parameters. it launches the gui. Inside the file menu of epsxe there is an option called open gamelist. Show this the path to your isos etc. it is super fast to navigate with a mouse but is probably a no go with a controller. refresh your list it takes a second then after that if you want click grab covers. I can browse the hundreds of psx games in a second when you click the game it launches from the list with the gui. I can keep my art etc and the gui. Maybe there is a command switch to load the games from gamelist with the gui I am not sure.

Are you sure you can't use pbp with Mednafen? I'm certain I've read on the libretro forums that you can. I've never used it myself as I use the m3u disc swapping method which works perfectly through Mednafen. I remember reading about them patching in pbp support though. @SentaiBrad didn't you mention that you had used them with it? EDIT: Here's the thread over at Libretro. It's supported according to that.

Yes PBP's are supported and work flawlessly, at least playing and launching wise. I haven't specifically tested out disc switching yet. It's supposed to auto-switch, but if I recall RA also has a hotkey for disc switching, so I would also assume that would work if so.

SentaiBrad said Yes PBP's are supported and work flawlessly, at least playing and launching wise. I haven't specifically tested out disc switching yet. It's supposed to auto-switch, but if I recall RA also has a hotkey for disc switching, so I would also assume that would work if so.
I've tested the switching using metal gear solid i made it the wrong disc on purpose and tried to start a game make sure to save state before you attempt it you must click eject or something then switch the disc number with the arrow keys. It's pretty straight forward just imagine you are swapping discs you eject teh tray put in new disk and close the tray. then resume your game. I have been trying all day long to get cheats to work. Can any of you confirm them working or not. I have tried armor core and it didn't work. I have working gameshark cheats for my version of metal gear solid i can use them on both the gameshark and epsxe. I click update changes or whatever but have not been able to get any cheats happening i can toggle them on and off too using the u y keys.

djweevil said you must click eject or something then switch the disc number with the arrow keys. It's pretty straight forward just imagine you are swapping discs you eject teh tray put in new disk and close the tray. then resume your game.
Yep, that's how it works via m3u as well. I have "0" as my open tray button and "+" and "-" as next and previous disc respectively.
djweevil said I have been trying all day long to get cheats to work. Can any of you confirm them working or not.
I don't have any experience with using cheats, unfortunately. I know that Retroarch technically supports it, but the specifics of using them and whether or not they're compatible with the Mednafen core, I'm really not sure.