LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch MAME 0.170 x64 core

Clavius

About a week ago I figured out how to get the MAME stuff working in retroarch and I was pretty excited. So I spent the last 5 days setting up and configuring all my mame stuff (updating roms, getting the proper art and dats and ini files) for version 0.170 which is the version of the core that retroarch auto-downloaded for me. Well, I'm not sure how, but somehow my mame core got accidentally updated to 0.174 which means many roms no longer work. I've searched all over the internet and cannot for the life of me find a version of the mame_libretro.dll for version 0.170 like I had just last week. I've thoroughly searched the libretro nightlies builds and archive and it seems to have no previous versions... they're all 0.174 now. Cry Do any of you guys/girls happen to have a copy of the mame_libretro.dll (x64, 0.170)? I'm really hoping someone sees this that hasn't updated their core yet, because I would absolutely love you forever if you could message me if you still have a 0.170 core. Thanks!

The MAME Libretro core doesn't care (at least I'm sure most of the cores don't care) if you are running x86 or x64, but if you ran the online updater recently there is a chance they updated. It would honestly be easier (and my suggestion) to just grab 170 to 171, 171 to 172, 172 to 173 and 173 to 174 MAME Update packs. If you grabbed a merged pack or merged it yourself then you need to grab a new 174 merged pack as split upgrades (I don't think they're ever merged updates) will break a merged pack. These packs would be much more easy to find than a specific version of an RA core. There is a great CLRMamePro tutorial on the site written by @CriticalCid that will update your set from 170 to 174 in very little time. The bulk of the wait would either be the download, depending on your speed, and the actual process of upgrading and changing around the roms, which also depends on your hard drive speed (and maybe CPU speed if you do a merged set). That said, if you download a FULL RA download (with all the cores included, which they exist) then grab a 1.3.3 pack or something and grab the MAME core from this. However, it's generally best to keep cores and emulators up to date.

Thanks Brad. Yeah, I plan on updating all the cores (nes, genesis, gameboy, etc) whenever new updates for them come out, with the exception of mame... because the mame roms need to be updated as well, and so does the art, and the dats, and a bunch of other stuff that quite honestly I just don't have time to keep up with. I tried using clrmamepro and it just confused the ever-living-crap out of me, so much so that I opted to completely nuke my 0.148 set and just start over from scratch with 0.170. But for the time being I've done some googling and can't seem to find a retroarch archive with the mame_libretro.dll for version 0.170 inside. And if by some miracle someone happens to have that dll and could zip it up and send it to me that would save me days of work and frustration. :)

I had tried the RetroArch.7z from the build server and it doesn't seem to have any cores in it, unfortunately. There may be a reason they don't keep older cores on the build server but I feel like it would be a good idea for situations like this, or maybe when someone is trying to repro a bug and needs to figure out which version of a core it started with. BUT --- thank you for uploading the core! I really appreciate it. It's going to save me DAYS of mucking about with trying to update my mame sets. My wife and I just took a shot of Grappa to celebrate! Also, lesson learned... I should backup my cores just in case I update a core and it is buggy and I need to revert back. I'm just going to highly recommend this practice to everyone. :)