LaunchBox Community Forums

I think LaunchBox's command line is busted for me.

Bobinator

All right. I'm starting to think that either something in my LaunchBox or my computer is completely broken, because LB seems to be ignoring ANYTHING I attempt to use as a command line parameter, and I'm not sure why. Let me explain. I'm trying to run Centipede, for the Atari 7800, through MAME/MESS, as a random example.

Here's the way this particular game is set up in my Launchbox. If I try running it, nothing happens. It WILL work if I use RetroArch with NO command line, but if I run it through MAME, nothing happens. Now, that last screenshot is a .bat file I made, seperate of LaunchBox, and that will work when I run it. What am I doing differently with that than I'm doing with LaunchBox, is the question?

I just want to know if I did something wrong, or if something's wrong with my LaunchBox, or what... if I need to put up more information, let me know.

ss (2016-08-23 at 10.57.40).png

ss (2016-08-23 at 10.58.44).jpg

ss (2016-08-23 at 10.59.39).png

ss (2016-08-23 at 11.00.35).png

Allow me to make a suggestion. Well 2 suggestions actually but you can pick either one.

Suggestion 1: For Atari 7800 use Retroarch and the Prosystem core.

Suggestion 2: If you don't like suggestion 1 and want to use Mess / Mame for other systems and reasons then I recommend a separate Mess install. Yes I know they are the same technically now but I have had much easier luck with a separate Mess install.

I think you already know the first steps but let me put this stuff here for people who maybe don't know.

Put your bios files in the /roms folder which is inside the Mess folder. Edit the mess.ini and edit the rom path. I will use my Atari 5200 setup as an example.

rompath                   "H:\Emulation\Roms\Atari 5200\;H:\Emulation\Roms\CD-i\;H:\Emulation\Emulators\Mess\roms\"

Setup Mess as an emulator in Launchbox and assign it to the systems you wish to emulate it with and the appropriate command switches in there.

No need for custom command line parameters and I found this much easier than trying to go through Mame, in fact I had no luck doing it through Mame. This has the added benefit of keeping things a little more neatly organized. Even though Mame and Mess have merged back together there are still stand alone Mess releases up to the same version number or close to it. Mine is version 174 with hlsl shaders.

Mess.jpg