LaunchBox Community Forums

Game rom paths

RetroArcade

So maybe I am thinking wrong on how this should work. So to split up mame roms I imported the systems from folders where they were split such as nintendo, Sega, etc classics. Doing this puts every game path for those as the path they were imported from. I assumed that setting the game path to the main mame rom folder under manage platform would change all those roms from that  platform to the new path that was defined. However they still retain the one which they were imported from. 

So what is the purpose of the game path under manage platform? If it is for the purpose of changing all roms in that platform then it looks like it has an issue. If it isn't for that purpose then it would be great to have game folder path added into one of the options for a bulk edit. 

Edited by RetroArcade

To bulk edit your games path you have to use NotePad++ and use find and replace to manually change your paths it is very easy but it can be intimidating if you haven't attempted it before. First things first copy your xml just in case something goes wrong you can revert to your previous install of LB in seconds. Also if LB is open close it as the .xml will not save your changes if LB is open when you save it.

2nd Open (or download, install and then open) Notepad++ go to the menu bar and click search when the list of options appears select find this will open a new form fill in your current path and click count to see if it finds the items in your path if it returns 0 items there is something wrong with your path if you see your item everything checks out.

Notepad++Find.JPGNext after adding the path and checking the accuracy of the count you want to go up to the replace tab this will change the form slightly and allow you to type in a new path after doing so then click replace all and it should tell you how many games it replaced they should match the number that you got earlier in the countNotepad++Find.&ReplaceJPG.JPGAfter this you will have to save your document and this will ensure that the next time you open LB these changes will be in effect.

If you run into any issues or are unhappy with the results then just delete the xml and replace it with the copy that you made because you listened to my sage advice in the beginning.

Also this is pretty much the only way to do this so if you think this is too much of a work around and you don't want to tackle it your only other option is to delete your games and reimport them this will not delete or change any of your media and if you reimport don't use any sources for metadata when you do and then your games will be added with their new path and still have all the meta and images as beforehand.

Yeah the default game path set in LB isn't necessarily the one you are using it just shows the default game folder inside of LB I personally have never moved any of my games into LB as I had my own folder structure going and didn't want to change them for the program but that being said that I don't know what that option does but I can see that it would look like it would change you games folder path I just don't think that is what it is for but don't see what else it does. I learned this method when I 1st started using LB and it has pretty much been the method suggested by the community from before I joined so unless I missed where they add the ability to do so then I don't think it works that way.