LaunchBox Community Forums

Media downloader verbosity

Tony

I noticed that games with a colon in the name, sometimes all I have to do is delete the colon and it finds the game. Also games with "e" instead of "é" such as the Pokemon series aren't recognized in the database. I also had issue with pluralities or just one letter being off sometimes. Is it possible to use the google search API because it works very well at knowing what you're searching for and I'm sure coding a complex search function yourself would be a heavy endeavor when there's higher priorities. 

Edited by Tony
  • Like 1

Just now, Jason Carr said:

Are you guys seeing this with EmuMovies or the LaunchBox Games Database?

I noticed that it's mostly an issue with the Launchbox database. It's just a bit too verbose sometimes which is great in some ways so it doesn't mislabel but a few changes to do with colons and characters like "é" along with a few other common characters used in English from other languages would save a bit of time and there's little worry of mislabeling with those. 

• Like 1

It happens with EmuMovies too but not nearly as often. Shouldn't there be some kind of thing where it says 'This is a list of games that don't have matches, this is what I think it is, id this ok or am I wrong?'. I have no idea what this kind of thing would be called or even if it is feasible for the time being but that would be a good idea. The E thing for Pokemon and such should be easy to say that e is equal to é and then it should find it. Right? Or am I just being a dope here? :) Which is likely.

Yeah, a little bit of everything. ;) We have some very complicated and intelligent matching in place already, but it can always be improved, though it will also never be perfect. We have a ticket in place for the Pokemon thing already. We might need some additional tickets for addressing various specific situations. The important thing there is that I have specific examples to tackle. :)

I will take note of this and will, at some point I am importing the rest of my collections, provide specific examples as they come up. Sometimes, it's silly stuff like a couple sports title have the 'featuring sport guy' and if you remove that, it works fine but god help you if you should leave it there. :) I am still happier with the way LB/BB does it more so than several other FEs and media collection tools I have used in the past. So I can just say, meh and shrug it off.

• Like 1