LaunchBox Community Forums

Decent way to create game lists per user without having a tags feature

ckp

I think I found a decent way to be able to associate specific game favorites to certain users or type of people.

So, when you edit a game, it has a Custom Fields tab.

In this tab I set the Name column to have "Whose Favorite" with a value for my name, someone else's name, or something like "Kids".

If the same game needs to be associated to my name and Kids, I just create two rows with Name "Whose Favorite" and Value "Kids" for one row and another row with "Whose Favorite" and a value of my name.

And you can add as many as you want per game.

Then on the left side of LB where you have the filter drop list to show Platform, Rating, etc, you now also have the filter "Whose Favorite". When you select this new filter, it shows all the names under it so you can pick what to see, like only games that have been associated to kids or yourself or whomever.

I also set one game in each platform with value "Testing" so I get a single view of one game from every platform that I like to use as a test.

It's not nearly as nice as using something like google tags, but you get the same type of result.

You can't create a custom filter on custom fields unfortunately, otherwise you could also say show me all "Whose Favorite" that contain <something> AND/OR <something> or whatever.

Only thing I really dislike about the Filter view is that when you switch to something else, it always lands on ALL, so you have to get a view of all games. I hate that :)

Watch out though, here is the biggest BUMMER. The custom fields do not show up in BigBox as a filter view like it does in regular LB - awwwwwwwwwwwww man!

Best I can do for Bigbox to show my kids favorites is just to mark the Rating to Everyone for every game the kids like and use "View Ratings"=Everyone in BB filter view. :(