LaunchBox Community Forums

RA custom keyboard mapping for up down left right using keyboard

ckp

Does anyone know which player1 mappings in the main settings correspond to player1 up down left right mappings for keyboard?

I can't seem to get custom up/down/left/right keys to work, so I'm guessing I am setting them for the wring settings since there are various settings that i guess could be for up/down/left/right.

I asked on the RA forum, but it's been a while with no answer over there. 

i was trying to map my left joystick for player1 (keypad2, keypad4,kepad8,keypad6) but for the life of me couldn't get it to work using the all binds option in the RA ui. i found it works finally if i replace what RA put in the config file with keypad2, keypad4,kepad8,keypad6 to values that are just up down left right. oh man that was killing me. geez!!

oh well, back to the drawing board, even though i disabled all the hotkey mappings to make sure there are no duplicates for what i mapped for my xarcade button, the4 buttons are now doing unexpected things. this nightmare in RA continues.... 

so, it appear that setting the keyboard mappings in the main settings without a core loaded (like i was instructed to do on the RA forum) do not carry into the game cores. when running a game, the new mappings  didn't work (but did work in RA ui) so i used my keyboard assuming the original settings might be in place still and they were.

so, do we have to make these custom keyboard mappings inside every single core? or did i miss something in the main settings to make them carry down to cores?

got 2 player xarcade working. but now when i plugin my xbox 360 controllers they don't work. and i'm guessing that's because RA never was able to automatically configure my xbox 360 usb controllers. 

is there possibly an RA setting to tell it not to use the autoconfig files for controllers?

well, i went ahead and did rebind all on my xbox 360 controllers and got the result i REALLY wanted which is to be able to use either xarcade OR xbox360 controllers any time in any game without having to unplug or switch and settings. now i can use a mixture of say player1 on xobx360 and player2 on xarcade or i can use both xbox 360s or i can use both xarcade.

that was something i have not read is possible in RA but it is indeed working and what I really wanted :) 

hope it doesn't stop working.

update on this saga...

it is actually working fine! i forgot that i changed n64 to a stand alone emulator. so my xarcade AND xbox 360s do seem to be working concurrently now in my RA cores which is just awesome. don't know why my xbox360s never got autoconfigured initially , but at least things seem to be working like i want now.

so, my suggestion to anyone who may be trying this. if your xbox 360 does not autoconfigure like mine does not, then just set it manually with bind all. and when trying to set custom key mappings for your xarcade, if you use keypad numbers for your xarcade joystick, you may have to go into the retroarch.cfg and manually fix that bug to set it with up/down/left/right instead. 

the RA forums say you will not be able to use your xarcade if you have xbox360s plugged in, but that's not true. you can use either one and it works (at least for me).