LaunchBox Community Forums

Problem saving via battery backup with Mednafen

cormegaman

Hello all,

I am having this weird issue where game boy and game boy color games are not saving in mednafen. This only applies to games that have a battery save function. Save states work fine. If I load a game in mednafen outside of launchbox a game will save but nothing saves when the game is launched within launchbox/big box. This may also relate to another problem I have with mednafen and saving controller inputs. Like the saves, I have to set the controller inputs in mednafen outside of launchbox because if I launch a game in mednafen through launchbox and set up my controller inputs, they are forgotten the next time I load a game. 

Thanks in advance!

Oh, I for some reason thought you did mean in RetroArch. Oops. If you are stuck on using Stand alone's only, then use mGBA. I think It's the best for all 3 systems. Otherwise, within RetroArch I do suggest Gambatte, and Gambatte does have a standalone that is fairly well regarded as well.

Ok thanks Brad. I really like mednafen but I think I will give those other a try. I also use Mednafen for VB and TG16 but I don't have to worry about battery saves. Question: do you think Launchbox is blocking access to write information to the Mednafen folder? I use Mednafen for PS1 also and while I have not set it up yet, I am wondering if it's going to do the same thing to memory cards.

No, not at all. LaunchBox never interferes with software like that. LaunchBox is simply a facilitator. If you do have issues with mednafen standalone, most of mednafen is available within RetroArch, and the same BIOS set up that is used for Mednafen works in RetroArch, as long as you put the BIOS in the proper location. So if you want the very superb emulation of Mednafen, but prefer a better program around it, that is a very good solution in my opinion.

Thanks. I actually just figured out what was wrong but now it created a new problem. The automation process to close emulators does not work with Mednafen. I found an AHK script that I have been using so I could close the emulator with my Xbox One controller by holding one button and pressing another. The script is:

$Esc::

{

Process, Close, {{{StartupEXE}}}

}

I think the problem is the command because if I exit with my controller or by hitting the ESC key it doesn't save. If I hit the default exit key for Mednafen (F12) it saves. If I remove the AHK script it saves with ESC and F12. You wouldn't happen to know a workaround would you? I would rather not have to use another program like xpadder or joy2key.

Thanks again for all of your help Brad!

Oh, that is very strange. Is there a way to rebind functions for Mednafen? If the script is causing interference, then maybe it's with the buttons? I'll pass this on to Jason; I did forget that the AHK close script is there, which obviously does "interfere" with a program if it's enabled.

Okay Brad I got it working. I ended up getting rid of the AHK as that was the issue with it. As some may know, the automation process does not work with Mednafen. I have my automation process set up to hold the BACK button on my controller and to press the START button to exit. In Mednafen, you could remap the buttons, especially to a combination. You have to hold the SHIFT key and press F2. 

Anyway, thanks for all of the help and for replying so fast. Excellent community over here!