LaunchBox Community Forums

Operating system on a platform

chyatt6385

While moderating, I ran across a new entry for "PlayStation Home", which seems to be an "operating system" or dashboard for the Sony PS3. I'm leaning toward rejecting it because it's not a game, but I thought I would throw the question out there to see what others think about it. If you created the entry, I'd like to hear from you as well and your thoughts as to why it should be included.

Part of the reason why I ask is that I have quite a few "utilities" in my own LaunchBox, but I know they're not games so I wouldn't think of submitting them as such.

Or someone could suggest that I reject it and move onward in the queue.

It is a game that came with the PS3 early on and then was removed. It was more of a social... thing. It was as much of a game as something like Second Life is, but this was ... just odd. A good comparison could be Nintendo Land, but more boring. You can't play the game anymore, so part of me wants to reject it also based on that info, it's gone and not coming back, however, it's still technically a valid entry.

Reminds me of that social thing on the Nintendo Wii (1st generation), where you create a "Mii" . . . <shudders>

Well, if Second Life is a game, I suppose this is a game too. :-) After all, Neverwinter Nights evolved into a social media-type thing too, only without financial transactions and such, and I think Path of Exile and Gems of War are similar, where players come and just sit and chat and not really play; I'm sure there are many many more examples out there that I'm not aware of.

I don't think we should be rejecting any games based on whether they're still playable or not; that sets a bad precedent. I mean, by that logic we shouldn't list any of the Satellaview games for SNES, since they were certainly never meant to be played any time after the broadcasts. 

I personally think that PlayStation Home was, at least in Sony's mind, an integral part of the PS3 experience for many years, and that if nothing else makes it approved in my eyes.

• Like 1

I think I have a Q-Link disk image for the Commodore 64 lying around here somewhere . . . :-)

It's the same thing, really. There were even some parts you could access offline with it, I think.

And I approved the entry for PlayStation Home.

Edited by chyatt6385
  • Like 1