LaunchBox Community Forums

2 player bartop arcades

Special T

I saw Jason's video of his children playing the bar-top arcade and I thought that would be something fun for my family. So for anyone that owns or has played a bartop arcade, is there enough room for 2 adults to play comfortably? It will most likely be my children playing but I was hoping to get my wife involved as well.

My only other thought would be to space out the controls for more elbow room (similar to the image below) but I think that is just a mock up I haven't seen anyone make a bartop arcade like that except for the image I referenced below.

03d01b4b6eb712111544f212bd9a7b46.jpg

I think the bartop arcade needs a minimum of 500mm width. I've built a few and just finished another one and its a two player bartop at that width and I find it quite comfortable for two adults. If you are buying one Setup then go with a friend so you can if youre happy with it. If you are building it yourself(I recommend as it's a great sense of achievement when it's done) then def buy some cardboard and make a mock-up cabinet before hand so you can get it how you like.

Thank you for responding and for the width information.

Do you have any pictures of the bartop arcades you've built?

I was thinking about building the bartop myself. I've watched a few videos and read a few articles online... it doesn't seem too complicated but I would need to purchase some power tools because all I have is a miter saw and a drill.

What resources (websites / books) did you use when you built your first arcade? 

The Day of the tentacle themed is my latest and made a few changes from the Neo Geo Style(thicker side panels, 2.1 powered speakers instead of USB powered, bezel art instead of a hard plastic trim). the design was a 2 player bartop instructable I found on google with a few small changes to suit the screen I had. I also cut some extra panels with a couple hinges on the back for access and a removable panel underneath in case any of the micro switches needed replacing. Im not very good at woodwork but found this was an enjoyable way to improve at it. The art I just printed on gloss paper at home and tiled them(slight lines maybe visible in the photos) onto the cabinet, it looks ok considering how much cheaper it is but I would recommend adhesive vinyls for a better look. 

In regards to tools the most important for me was a square, drill, jigsaw and circular saw. 

IMG_20161121_220410503.jpg

IMG_20161108_184824815.jpg