LaunchBox Community Forums

How to make a specific xbox controller as main player 1 controller

ckp

I have 2 xbox 360 usb controllers and 1 xbox one wireless controller (just got my xbox one controller!).

One specific xbox 360 controller was taking a player 1 priority in all emulators even if another controller was plugged in by itself, so the one I want to use as my main controller didn't work at all or only worked as player 2 if i had the priority controller also plugged in.

I wanted my xbox one controller as my main player 1 controller but couldn't make that happen even if it was the only one plugged in (i think only Retroarch worked in this case).

I finally found out how to fix this terrible irritation in Windows 10.

I plugged in my "priority" "player 1" xbox 360 usb controller and my wireless xbox one controller.

Then I went to Devices and Printers in Control Panel. Checking the controller settings by right clicking either of them showed my xbox one second in the list.

So, I right clicked the xbox 360 in Devices and Printers and chose to delete it. 

Then I rebooted (the reboot is a necessary step and in this exact order).

After reboot my xbox one is still the only one currently enabled and showing in Devices and Printers.

Then I plugged in the xbox 360 usb controller and Win 10 installed it again as it showed back up in Devices and Printers.

Now my xbox one is first on the controller list and takes player 1 in all my emulators whether or not my xbox 360 is plugged in. Success!!

I had the same problem with just two xbox 360 usb controllers where I wanted to use the other one as the main player 1 controller, but it was not the main controller, so this would solve the issue for two xbox 360 usb controllers also. This lets you fix the controller priority order. It seems to stick even after reboots.

That one was killing me.  Hope it helps someone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1