LaunchBox Community Forums

Xinput and Multiple Controller Controller Configuration

ThePolish

I have a pretty good setup going using launchbox, rocketlauncher  and use a dolphin bar with two wii motes, an Xbox 360 controller (wireless) and a ps3 controller using  scp toolkit. 

Consoles work great using Xbox, ps3 wii motes. For arcade it gets tricky using the dolphinbar. 

With the dolphin bar, I use a program called touchmote which allows me to set profiles for each wiimote, one uses pointer as mouse cursor, the other uses xinput left stick for x and y axis. This allows me to, for light gun games, to use the wii motes. Works great in area 51 for example but is a royal pain to set up (I have to play using mame .175 but mameuifx .174 to assign controls including axis per gun) in settings. Once it's all troubleshot, plays close enough  to the arcade without spending money on aim tracks and no wires! 

I just upgraded my system and finally added the Supermodel emulator for Super Model 3, which was also royal pain to set up controllers but figured it out using the command line and manual changes of the ini to set the wii as light gun for the likes of Jurassic Park. 

The issue I run into, is that there are times when I have the controllers come in out of order (say joy5  connects as joy3) I either have to disconnect and reconnect over and over, or I have to edit all my configuration files to the new xinput(dinput?)  slots. 

Has only one else messed with a controller setup like this? Or heard of utilities that can help manually assigning controller with address x to slot Y anytime they're connected? 

Yeah, if you are one of those guys who like to play co-op with friends, then you'll be facing some ridiculous issues others never need to worry about.

I was able to solve some issues by opting for SDL-Input wherever possible. See this post for further info.

Further, I've stumbled on a kind-of workaround by the means a of Microsoft Tool named devcon.exe. With devcon.exe you can simply disable the controllers you don't need for a particular game, and re-enable your controllers after you are done playing. Not a really clean solution, but definitively helpfull for some cases. Here is a link with further description and download if you are interested.

I was unware of that "devreorder" tool. Sound worth checking out. Please let us know how it is working out.

Edited by IlhanK
  • Like 1

Here is devreorder

Thank you for your response, I'll check out your links as well. I'm not a huge fan of the devcon solution as it really breaks the seamlessness of launchbox but as a last ditch and trouble shooting I guess it is work a look. 

I guess this is just part of the fun if getting a front-end to work seamlessly with everything you want to throw at it! 

6 hours ago, IlhanK said:

I was unware of that "devreorder" tool. Sound worth checking out. Please let us know how it is working out.

Not as well as I hoped - 

The issue is when using devreorder - you have to list the inputs you want by name as shown in joy.cpl (so anything emulating an xbox controller will be "Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows)"

For me, when I open Touchmote and connect both my "lightguns" (wiimotes) they pop up as "XBOX 360..." - and while that would be fine if I was using say a vjoy device and only two xbox controllers - it doesn't keep them slotted correctly if I reset and connect my ps3 or xbox controller since they're also either actually or emulating another xbox 360 device.

This script does exactly what I'm looking for except for using that way to name controllers rather than being able to set by a unique device id- the search continues.