LaunchBox Community Forums

Smooth 60fps for n64 games using retroarch?

chewz

I came across this YT vid: 

It looks buttery smooth and for the life of me can't work out how to get mine like that? Does anyone know how to have n64 roms, or any roms really running at a true 60fps? Obviously the game were not made this way but looks much better in my mind....

Played around with some retroarch settings but no joy..

A lot of older games were made this way. The standard used to always be 30 or 60, just depends on the developer. The Mupen64 core, or any N64 emulation for that matter, is beyond not perfect. The best bet though might be ParaLLEI in RetroArch. That is coming along very nicely. GLupeN64 is also coming nicely as their full re-write, but it's not there yet. You may be able to tweak your settings enough and / or brute force your way in to good frame rates on some games for a little while, but it's still not great.

As for what settings to change, I actually don't know what you can do in RA to change to improve performance... Could take a look at the core settings, which show up after a core is loaded in the quick menu. That is usually where I see settings that I normally see in other emulators or the emulators each core is based on.

FPS hacks for N64 games generally break the game but it does depend on the game. Ocarina of Time for example is locked at 20 fps and any hacks to make it run at 60 or even 30 breaks the game entirely.

As for the ParaLLEl core is concerned, don't even waste your time with it for now, it needs a lot more work to become usable. Try out the GLupeN64 core, I have been having a lot of success with it but you will most likely have to download a nightly build to get it working.

2 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

FPS hacks for N64 games generally break the game but it does depend on the game. Ocarina of Time for example is locked at 20 fps and any hacks to make it run at 60 or even 30 breaks the game entirely.

As for the ParaLLEl core is concerned, don't even waste your time with it for now, it needs a lot more work to become usable. Try out the GLupeN64 core, I have been having a lot of success with it but you will most likely have to download a nightly build to get it working.

Oh, I thought it was ParaLLEI that was along farther than GlupeN64, I might have confused those two. The best bet would be one of those two though.

Ah, ok then! GlupeN64 it is. Either way, N64 emulation is not great. I do now recall being some FPS hacks for their games, but for the most part it will be hard to expect 100% speed for any game regardless of the frame rate they originall ran in. If that happens to be 20, 30, 60 FPS then so be it. I assumed it was all 30 / 60, but looking back at even Starfox on SNES which ran at 14FPS, yea... xD That would also explain why I see N64 speed readings as VI's or Cycles and generally not an FPS reading. :P