LaunchBox Community Forums

Request - Execute script on launch/close game

ndonkersloot

Hi there,

I'm playing my arcade games on a low powerd Intel NUC.
Some game, mostly Cave shmups on steam (mushihimesama, DoDonPachi DaiFakkatsu) looks and plays nicer when played on a low resolution imho.

I'm looking for a feature to change the resolution upon game launch and reset it once the game closes.
This could also be more generic as a startup and close script. So a user can make a specific script for a specific game to execute when launches, and execute when closes.

Am I correct that there isn't an option to do this right now? Would you guys think this is a good idea?

5 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

This is already possible with additional applications, assuming your settings can be written in to a batch file. Right Click -> Edit a game, then go to the Additional Applications tab.

Thanks for your response, I didn't knew this function. I will try this when I get home!

10 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

This is already possible with additional applications, assuming your settings can be written in to a batch file. Right Click -> Edit a game, then go to the Additional Applications tab.

It worked exactly as I wanted it to be, great feature of an already awesome front-end!
For anyone else interested om changing there resolution upon launch and close of a game; Below the tools and 'scripts', more command, to change the resolution.

I've used a simple application from NirSoft, called NirCMD.
This simple tool allows you to change number of things on your system with a simple command, one of them is te parameter 'setdisplay'. I've create two scripts 'Set-Resolution-800x600.cmd' and 'Set-Resolution-1280x1024.cmd' to change the resolution I want. The commands are as followed:

Set Resolution-800x600.cmd
C:\Arcade\Tools\NirCMD\nircmd.exe setdisplay 800 600 32

Set Resolution-1280x1024.cmd
C:\Arcade\Tools\NirCMD\nircmd.exe setdisplay 1280 1024 32

Then you can configure your game as SentaiBrad suggested to launch the specific script you want at start or close of the game to set the resolution.

Hoped I help someone else with this.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Sorry for reviving this old post but I cannot seem to find the Additional Applications feature. I'm new to LaunchBox and from the instruction video I can tell that the UI has been significantly updated since it was posted.

Up until now I was using Playnite as my Windows games launcher because it gave me the option to execute PowerShell scripts before running the game and after closing a game. I have scripts that alter my multi-monitor configuration setup and save game backup scripts (where native cloud backup is not available) and I would like to migrate them to LaunchBox.

Is there a way to create such configurations?

• 1 year later...
On 4/9/2021 at 5:29 AM, sokairyk said:

Sorry for reviving this old post but I cannot seem to find the Additional Applications feature. I'm new to LaunchBox and from the instruction video I can tell that the UI has been significantly updated since it was posted.

Up until now I was using Playnite as my Windows games launcher because it gave me the option to execute PowerShell scripts before running the game and after closing a game. I have scripts that alter my multi-monitor configuration setup and save game backup scripts (where native cloud backup is not available) and I would like to migrate them to LaunchBox.

Is there a way to create such configurations?

Not sure if you received an answer regarding this, but if you enter the "Edit Game" function (ctrl+E) then click the "Additional Apps" tab under the Metadata drop-down, you can then click "Add Application" and you will see that you can add functions for running the application before, or after the main application.

I also came over from PIaynite and wanted to try and find this functionality. I hope that helps!

Edited by bigwhitebuddha