LaunchBox Community Forums

Downloaded Images Disappearing

dxhuntle

I'm new to the forums but I couldn't find anything specifically on this topic to sorry if this is a re-tread. After importing a large folder of ROMs for NES, it was able to find and automatically download associated metadata/images for about 90% of them. I then went through and corrected some of the titles in the search and was able to download images for several additional games. (For example, Back to the Future parts 2 and 3. I searched for just "Back to the Future" and found it labeled as "pasts II and III" in the database.) This was yesterday. Today I noticed the games that had images yesterday are today gone again. I don't want to keep doing the same work over and over. Is there a box I'm not checking somewhere that allows lauchbox permission to edit the roms or something? I'm just confused and didn't want to go through and clean up my library until I figured this out. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Edited by dxhuntle

Open up your LaunchBox folder, and go in to your Images sub directory. In here should be a list of all your platforms. Check your NES platform and confirm that all of your images are still here and downloaded. If they are, did you change the name of the platform?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Brad. Sorry it took me a while to get back here, got busy working on some other systems. I actually had not changed the system name on mine. I did find a solution that was kind of a pain but did do the trick. If I needed to make a change to the ROM title in order to locate the correct metadata in the database, I also had to change the actual file name of the ROM to correspond. This was a pain because I found that changing the ROM file name while in the editor did nothing. I had to locate the ROM in the folder and and change it there. But, once I did, the problem was solved.

An easy way I found to rename the rom files is while editing a game. Edit a game, press browse to locate the rom, in the new window locate the rom and press F2. Rename it to what you need, then it's right there to click to associate with that entry. Then you can edit the name in the editor. Having LaunchBox rename roms or anything like that could be disastrous, but your games do need to be close or on point. However, you shouldn't also need to change the file name unless you're worried about re-importing. I've changed a games LaunchBox name without editing the rom file too.