LaunchBox Community Forums

PS2 Emulator issues -PCSX2

PowerCooker

Ok I was playing xenosaga 1 on it perfectly for the current week and ive just gotten to the part were you leave this docking station doing repairs to the elsa

the secen right after the ship takes off for some reason shows the wrong fmv and shows the intro fmv but it screws up half way through. If I pause the game and press triangle to skip past the scene I then end up with a BLACk screen and the radar showing in the bottom corner. I can go into my character menu but then do nothing else as I just have a black screen and nothing else at all

Ive tried messing with F9 to change the graphics to hardware/software and ive messed with afew other settings but cannot seem to get anything to show up no matter what settings I mess with. My friend said that this happens a lot with the pcsx2 emulator? is this true?

Is there a work around for this issue as I was wanting to actually play xenosaga 1 again.....

I've never seen that happen, so... Though, unless someone else here knows why, you might be better going to their forums? The only thing I can think of is there might be something in the game hacks section (I remember Xenosaga having a patch in there), or you might need to change the level of the speed hacks being used. I would be willing to bet this has been figured out.

hi brad

I did google xenosaga 1 black screen showing radar - it can up with afew links but none of them would open - all 404 files

so I'm not the only person who has had this issue before. However because none of the pages will open I cant find out how/if these people fixed the issue or not

I'm not sure were your on about brad, are you saying I need to install a patch for the game? if so were do I get it and how do I install it if that is the problem

edit - if your on about GAME FIXED on the pcsx2 emulator then no I don't see xenosaga there anywere

I treied to enable the hack which cuts out the fmv all together and I still ended up with a black screen and a radar and nothing else. Everything else seems like random options and then stuff for ffx or persona games, sadly I don't see anything for xenosaga

Edited by PowerCooker

Sorry, yea, I meant game Fixes. It's been a long time since I've opened PCSX2, I apologize. xD And of course the PCSX2 Wiki wont load. Actually, the PCSX2 site as a whole seems to be down... crap. Ok, so I assume you have a save or a save state before this issue? I would try turning the Speed Hack preset down to 1. Leave the graphical plugin settings at default, but try the various (DX9, 11, OGL, and Software) with the preset set at 1. You might also want to try a new rip of the game. It's always possible that the rip was a bad one. As a last ditch effort, did you compress it in to a CSO?

not too sure what you mean by CSo and the other parts .

I basically got my 2TB launchbox off someone who had put all these games on already etc

it took me an AGE to just get xenosaga to even load properly as the stupid settings for this emulator never said if I wanted things to rfun smoothly I had to disable (set to none) a feature on the video plug-ins graphics section

The game itself ran fine until I  called for a giant robot and then the game super slowed down and I had to f9 to OPENGL-software from hardware so it would run correctly

Now I'm at this point in the game and am unsure why its booting up the wrong fmv or even when I skip it I just geta  blank screen

I ASSUME even if I did get another copy of the 1st disk that means my save state would be gone correct? is there a way for me to tell if its a bad rip or not?

There isn't a way to tell, and honestly, if you got it from someone it's going to be harder to troubleshoot stuff as you didn't set it up. If you don't know what a CSO is, then you don't have them. They're a form of archive-less compression for PSP and PS2 games. As for the save state, as long as the file name is exactly the same, it shouldn't matter one bit. Save States are saved in the States folder. Disc 1 may be the only one bad, but they could all be. Because it's playing the wrong video, that's why I am leaning towards a bad rip. If someone trimmed it poorly, or ripped it bad, the internal data could be messed up. Avoid the site with Paradise in it's name, as their discs are generally very bad. If you can find a redump or trurip set for PS2 (they're split by region because they're sop large), and only downloading the game you need is the best way. The sets often have some of the best quality rips, that's what they were founded on (hence the names).

I'm downloading the game again from "some rom site" to see if that works any better as the guy I got the hdd from didn't really answer me were he got it from...so I don't have much of a choice really. its rather annoying as at first he was a big help but now I just get the feeling he doesn't give a crap

I really wish there was something for people to avoid all these problems. I try/test all these games most days but I'm not sure if I did a type of guide or whatever were I could put it or if anyone would even use it

EDIT - ok confused here now

I downloaded the game from romhustler and yet its just 2 files - 1 iso file which is 7.88GB and a MDS file??????? the current game in my launchbox games folder is 3 separate iso files saying disk 1 2 3

so er....what gives?

Edited by PowerCooker

ok guys I found what the problem was - if anyone in future needs it

the game is meant to be 1 single iso file and u CANT load your game from a LOAD state or else it messes the game data up itself. you have to load from the games saved data directly (ie the ps2 save you would do in game normally) then once u get past the messed up part u can do a save state via the emulator

so if anyone in future is looking for the answer its meant to be 1 single iso file