LaunchBox Community Forums

Steamlink still kicking and on sale

tomahawk51

3 hours ago, heelsinc said:

wait this is awesome I would be able to move my computer out of my living room with this.  What type of lag is there and does it only work with steam or does it stream anything that's on my computer?

You can expect about 100ms with a hard line connection. A bit more latency with wifi, and perhaps some dropped frames. It is noticeable, but definitely playable. RPGs and strategy games would be fine. For hard core platformers and shooters I wouldn't recommend it, but you could adjust. 

Steam only streams one app at a time. You can force it to stream your who desktop by alt-tabbing or pressing the windows key on the streaming machine, and then walking back to your streamed-to machine to play and surf. The image quality is pretty good at beautiful settings but there is some loss of detail. The maximum resolution is 1080p, although your streaming machine can be rendering at 4k and it will just down sample. You might get better latency streaming at 720p though, especially over wifi.