LaunchBox Community Forums

Lordmonkus' Best of 2600 List

Lordmonkus' Best of 2600 List

View File

This my personal Best of 2600 list.

Some of these games are part of my list because I grew up playing them, others are just there because they are classics but the vast majority are there because they are actually still fun to play today. I tried not to put many arcade ports on here but there is a couple if they were actually really good ports. There are a couple of improvement hacked roms which are homebrews and not hacks that you would need to get and they are freely available over on http://atariage.com/index.php they are not copyright protected so there is no worry about that.

Space Rocks thread and download http://atariage.com/forums/topic/197315-space-rocks-2600

Pac-Man (8K) post and download http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229152-new-pacman-for-atari-2600/page-37#entry3298369

Here is the list of games in the playlist file and a short blurb about it:

Adventure - Not really a favourite of mine but it is a classic 2600 game.

Atlantis - Sort a Missile Command clone but different enough and unique.

Barnstorming - Fly through barns, what other games offer this ?

Beamrider - Another game that isn't really a favourite of mine but many people like it so it's here.

Berzerk - Arcade port but really well done.

Boxing (Activision) - This game is a great 2 player vs game, really fun button mashing action.

Chopper Command - Horizontal shooter Defender clone but by Activision so you know it's good.

Communist Mutants From Space - That name alone makes it great but it is a very good Space Invaders clone.

Cosmic Ark - Shoot asteroids and abduct people, how can you go wrong ?

Dark Chambers - Closest thing to Gauntlet on the 2600.

Demon Attack - Probably the best Space Invaders clone similar to Phoenix but it's an Imagic game and looks great.

Dolphin - It's like Ecco the Dolphin only it's on the 2600.

Dragonfire - Steal treasure from a dragon, nothing else needs to be said.

DragonStomper - Insane RPG game for its time, try it out.

Enduro - Awesome racing game, Outrun before Outrun.

Frostbite - Mix of Q-Bert meets Frogger but with a unique twist, fun game.

H.E.R.O - It's freaking H.E.R.O. arguably the best game on the system.

Keystone Kapers - Fun game I played for many hours as a kid.

Laser Blast - Fun Space Invaders in reverse, you play the invader destroying the base.

Official Frogger - This was made by Starpath for the Super Charger addon. It looks great, you have to see it in comparison to the Parker Bros version.

Pac-Man (8K homebrew) - This one you need to get from Atariage forums. This is how Pac-Man should have been on the system.

Pengo - Fun puzzle game.

Phoenix - Space Invaders clone but I played it a lot as a kid so it's on here.

Pitfall and Pitfall II - 'Nuff said.

River Raid - Also 'nuff said, play it if you never played it.

Sea Quest - Fun underwater horizontal shooter.

Solaris - Late release for the system, looks great and is a lot of fun.

Space Rocks - This is another Atariage homebrew and is the best version of Asteroids on the 2600. The original Asteroids is left off because of this version.

Spider Fighter - Another Activision games and great fast paced shooter.

Stampede - Rope cows, how many games has this ? A lot of fun and played it a lot as a kid.

Starmaster - First person space combat and another Activision game.

Survival Island - Another Starpath Super Charger addon game, swim to the island without getting eaten.

Tutankham - Raid tombs and steal treasure.

Yars Revenge - System exclusive and a classic.

• Like 1