LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox folder creation

misteridjit

I noticed that whenever I choose to edit a system in LB, new folders are created based on region (North America, United States, Japan, etc.). How do I prevent this "feature" from causing extraneous folders to appear? It adds clutter to my folder structure. I also find it to be a bit aggravating, not to mention a rather invasive, albeit innocuous, form of adding crap to my system.

They're adding something to my system without permission. It's like if I suddenly came into your house to sit next to you while you were watching TV. You seem like a pretty cool guy, but a stranger suddenly coming into your home to sit next to you might seem...invasive.

• Like 1

Except that LaunchBox will create a ton of folders to work within it's own system. This is how LaunchBox is set up to work. If LaunchBox was changing folders for other software or doing things to your OS, that's one thing, but it created a few folders several sub folders down. The only time it will create those folders elsewhere is if you tell LaunchBox your media is in another location, it will then create the files and folders it needs in that locations because it's being set up for download. These folders are created and then used for images to be put in, when they're properly labeled on the Database.

Right, I understand that just a simplest installation will cause folders to be created, but the folders are regenerating on their own. I deleted them several times, but they keep respawning after launchbox restarts. I have no purpose for these empty folders, and they just create extra clutter within my subfolders. There is no good reason for the program to just create empty folders.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

There is a reason for it though. That's what I'm trying to say. If the database has a Pal set of images, they should go in the Europe folder. You're more than welcome to request there be an option to not make these folders, and not have them sorted by going to Issues/Requests and making the ticket. All I was trying to get at is that they have a purpose, and it's just meant for organization.

There is a reason for it, but that only extends after the initial system setup. If I've already got my system setup, these folders should not be autopopulating. This is the only front end I have ever dealt with that does this. That's why I'm calling it invasive; I am not giving it permission to do this. Anything that starts modifying or adding system files and folders should be user directed, such as with an installation. Specifically, I can understand why it creates these folders this when I direct LB to download images for various ROMs. I am specifically directing the program to perform a specific function.
Don'ts get me wrong, I think Launchbox is an amazing front end. That's why it's the only front end I have ever actually purchased. However, this is just abnormal behavior for any program. It's creating empty folders simply for the sake of creating empty folders, long after an individual system has already been set up. There is no purpose to that. This should honestly only happen during, initial LB installation, or when the user is requesting images to be downloaded.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk