LaunchBox Community Forums

Would like some help setting this up for a low end machine I don't actually have

jgcpalmer

So my nephew recently acquired an older laptop (more like a netbook), and is lamenting that he can't really play much in the way of games on it.  I decided for his birthday, I'd get him a retro controller (the iBuffalo one) and get him set up with some retro gaming goodness that should run all right on his machine.  This adventure led me to Launchbox, which I've installed, and purchased Big Box for, and have loaded it up with a bunch of retro games (NES, SNES, SEGA, SEGA Genesis, Turbografx 16, and NEO GEO.)  My plan is to put it all on a USB stick and install it on his laptop for his birthday.

I've read through the other big thread on performance, and I've done some changes, like disabling backgrounds and videos and setting image quality to Medium.  I've also made sure to just install the games I think he would enjoy the most, rather than just dumping everything I can find.  Between the 6 systems, I've put on a little less than 400 games.  I've stepped through every game listing to try to get it to cache so it will load up faster for him.

Unfortunately, I can't really test that everything runs smoothly on his machine, because I don't have it yet.  So I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience running this on a very low end machine, and what kind of thoughts / advice they would have.  I'm not expecting Big Box to be a totally smooth experience, but he's a young kid, and I want him to be able to just plug in his controller, start it up, and just find the games and run them using the controller.

I've talked to my brother and he's sent me the specs, they are:

Asus Eee PC
Intel Atom CPU N450 @ 1.66 Ghz
1.00 GB RAM
Windows 7 Starter 32-bit
Resolution is 1024x600.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

I run LB/BB on some low end hardware a few Atoms (but all are Z series so a little newer) an AMD 450 Core 2 Duo T8300 and they work alright on there nothing spectacular but the interface works and the games run adequately in RA and MAME on these lower powered systems so really I don't know as Ive never tried it on that old of an atom chip. With the 1GB of RAM though I highly suggest in LB that you go into tools Options and turn the RAM cache all the way down to none.