LaunchBox Community Forums

Xinput on a generic joystick?

natemac00

So I noticed with all the PC games I’ve gone threw so far that I’d like on LaunchBox that these games to not recognize a “generic joystick” but they do except Xinput (Xbox controller).

is there a way to map joystick buttons to Xinput or have the generic joystick emulate as an Xinput? I did come across x360ce but that seemed to be a per-game solution. 

If anyone has any recommendations on using a gereric joystick with xInput games I would love to find a solution?

• 2 weeks later...

Unless the PC game in question supports Direct Input, you'll have to use a third party application like Xpadder, Pinnacle Profiler, etc. to bind the keys to buttons on the controller. If the game is Direct Input compatible, you should be able to bind the buttons in the game's options menu. However most any game released to PC since Xinput was added to DirectX (back in 2008/09) don't include Direct Input support anymore. Direct Input doesn't play well with analog controls (since it pre-dates it) so it can be a pain to get the sticks to work right (if at all), so you are better off just using third party software to map the controls.

I use both Xpadder and Pinnacle for games I want to use a controller with that doesn't support it (both cost about $10 a piece for a lifetime license when I purchased them a few years ago, so the cost may be different now). I would say Pinnacle is the better option since they have a repository of pre-made profiles for a huge number of games and you can download them from directly within Pinnacle. As long as Pinnacle is running, it will automatically load the corresponding profiles when a game is launched since you will point it to the game's EXE.

Some games may also have mods or other config file tweaks you can make to get a controller working with them, as well.

Edited by CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT

12 hours ago, CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT said:

Unless the PC game in question supports Direct Input, you'll have to use a third party application like Xpadder, Pinnacle Profiler, etc. to bind the keys to buttons on the controller. If the game is Direct Input compatible, you should be able to bind the buttons in the game's options menu. However most any game released to PC since Xinput was added to DirectX (back in 2008/09) don't include Direct Input support anymore. Direct Input doesn't play well with analog controls (since it pre-dates it) so it can be a pain to get the sticks to work right (if at all), so you are better off just using third party software to map the controls.

I use both Xpadder and Pinnacle for games I want to use a controller with that doesn't support it (both cost about $10 a piece for a lifetime license when I purchased them a few years ago, so the cost may be different now). I would say Pinnacle is the better option since they have a repository of pre-made profiles for a huge number of games and you can download them from directly within Pinnacle. As long as Pinnacle is running, it will automatically load the corresponding profiles when a game is launched since you will point it to the game's EXE.

Some games may also have mods or other config file tweaks you can make to get a controller working with them, as well.

Yea I had a such a huge headache with the games I was trying to us and commands out of launchbox did not always work, I bought a xInput controller and am currently wiring to work with my Arcade stick... It was honestly the easier solution.

I am going to check out Pinnacle, I did forget about them.

Edited by natemac00