LaunchBox Community Forums

problem auto exiting vjoy after exiting game

Bob Benson

Hi, I'm trying to use vjoy for my modern fighting games that are not fully keyboard controls compatible.

I mostly have everything working correct now vjoy with one exception.

I am able to use the additional apps feature to auto launch vjoy with the games I want; but I am unable to auto close vjoy when the game shuts down.

I tried adding a second instance of vjoy in additional apps that included -exit in the parameters. But that did nothing.

Not sure what was wrong I tried creating a batch file that ran vjoy.exe -exit

But it still seems like its not running on exit.

The strange thing is if I manually go to the batch file in the edit Window inside launchbox and run my disable batch file it works.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple since I don't know nearly enough of basic scripting so any help is much anticipated.  Thanks guys.

Post screenshots of you additional apps and their settings, and the main tab when you right click edit game.

Also check if the application path field where it specifies what process will launch the game, matches what is running in task manager when the game is actually playing.

I'll have to capture some screenshots when I'm in front of the arcade cab.

But I think I found the problem; still not sure how to solve.

So the games I'm trying to run are via Steam.

So I think the problem is the steam process needs to shut down to trigger the "run after application closes".

Any thoughts?

ok, steam games are a real trouble for additional apps sometimes. you can run the game exe in the LB field instead of the steam link. if that is the actual exe that stays running while the game is up it should work. but i've seen games where the exe changes and then that is a problem for this LB feature.

i think i can create an autohotkey script that will solve this. you would add it as an additional app.

i would need to know what game process runs along with the steam for one game.

i would also need to know your exact start and exit vjoy commands including the full path to vjoy

the script would just wait for the game process name to stop running and then it would run the command to exit vjoy

you would need to install autohotkey on your computer first

Edit: but again, if you run the game's exe from Launchbox instead of using the steam shortcut, you most likely wouldn't even need an ahk script and you can use your batch files to start and exit vjoy 

Edited by ckp

Thanks for the offer of help. I found another previous solution on the forum though. However that solution does have at least one caveat:

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/36199-vjoy-automation-for-steam-games/

The problem with this solution is you have to press a key after the game exit to complete the script and auto kill vjoy. So a little bit more messy then I was hoping. But I think it is preferable to having to another process running in the background at all times, ahk, just for the 2 or 3 steam fighting games I am hoping to run in bigbox.

1 hour ago, Bob Benson said:

But I think it is preferable to having to another process running in the background at all times, ahk, just for the 2 or 3 steam fighting games I am hoping to run in bigbox.

Just so you know, this method also leaves a process running in the background as well. That process is cmd.exe for the batch file. In any case, glad you got things working!