LaunchBox Community Forums

Is LB caching info or it is something else?

MartinC

Hi all,

I am working on translating the platform XML files (in this case Arcade.xml) to spanish. It is tedious and slow, even when it is all scripted. But my problem is another one, as follows:

If the file has any errors, LaunchBox will fil to start, which is fine. But the problem is that when I restore the original file, LB won't start anyway. I assume it is caching the files or something, but I couldn't  find the place where it is. Can @Jason Carr or anyone else tell me how it works, so I can keep trying without breaking anything? The only workaround is to restore the whole LaunchBox folder with the original version, but in that case I need to do a full copy everytime (I tried to copy only main files and nothing) which takes a lot due to it has several GBs with the info for all the configured systems.

Thanks a lot!

Martin

P.S.: @Jason Carr, I have opened a bug about this the last weekend thinking it was a LB issue. You might to close it up since it is something else apparently (caching or something else).

@MartinC The metadata is actually not cached at all; only the images are cached. It pulls the data directly from the XML files every time it loads. However, depending on what you're changing in the XML files, it may be in more than one spot or more than one file. For instance, the platform names are in both Platforms.xml and the game XML files (as well as the file names).

The only other thing to worry about is to make 100% sure that LaunchBox is closed and not running (no LaunchBox.exe or BigBox.exe processes running) before making any changes to the XML files.

It is weird... LB and BB are always closed while I work in the file (I change only the Notes field, I have it done on platforms.xml with no issues, and now I am working on Arcade.xml). The weird thing is that when the I restore the original file (in english and with no modifications at all), the error is still there and LB won't start anymore, it ends completely broken (BB does not work either, of course).

Is there a chance to check that? I know it is a particular issue for a particular user, but I think it will be useful for more people when it is finished and translated to spanish.

I attach the screen so you can check the full error shown.

Thanks a lot @Jason Carr!

Martin

LB_error.png

@MartinC I ran it through a debug process and the issue is being caused by an empty value in one of the DatabaseID fields. It's reading it in as an empty string, which is an invalid situation. I believe the tag should just be removed instead.

However, I'm seeing other errors coming through as well with dates once that problem is solved, so you might have many more issues with the data. I'm guessing that's the same issue though, using an empty string value instead of removing the tag.

@Jason Carr oh ok. I have written a little script in PHP to read the XML line by line and only update the Notes field. I have checked the XML file syntaxis and it seems to be ok too.

But I don't understand why the error is still there even when the original xml file is restored. It has no errors. I assume that it because the DB already have the empty value which is invalid. How could I reset that situation at that point? I can't just to delete the console and add it again from the begining since I can't get LB started. Is there a way to remove the console manually?

@Jason Carr That is the file used before the error, I know it because I rename it after to do make a copy. Maybe it was modified when I restored it to try to get LB working again.

I think the best thing to do now is to reinstall and add every console again. Once that is done... do you think that backing up the complete Data folder will be enough to restore and get everything working again? I will need to find something like that to work safety and avoid working with to entire LB folders and duplicate several GB. 

Thanks a lot Jason for your help on this.