LaunchBox Community Forums

Game Music and Background Music

Defiled_Popsicle1

Ive been playing around with the music functions in Big Box and have run into a bit of a wall. Ive got a bunch of games that have their own music linked that play when I scroll over the titles in the playlist menus but If I turn on background music in Big Box it wont play the game tracks when I scroll over them I have to go into the game menu and manually turn on the game soundtrack. Is there a way to set Big Box to auto-play game soundtracks then go back to auto-playing my background music for games that dont have music linked to them?

Edited by Defiled_Popsicle1

29 minutes ago, Defiled_Popsicle1 said:

The dev could probably easily update this in. I havent been able to find any other way. 

To be honest, that'd probably be reason enough for me to pay the $30 to get the updates. I certainly hope, assuming it's not somehow already possible, that they add it in soon!

5 hours ago, keltoigael said:

Something you could do to work around this is create a symlink from your background/music folder and drop it as the platform or game name, takes up less than 1k. I never tried it but worth a shot, it should work in theory. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Sorry if I am not following this correctly, but are you suggesting make a folder for every game, and have all of the folders for games that do not have music link to the location of the normal background music and the ones that do have music keep unlinked so it plays the music within the folder, all while leaving background music technically disabled in the options? Please clear this up if I am mistaken, I hadn't heard of symlinks before you posted about it today and have only had a chance to skim the article you posted. o.O

16 hours ago, MayorQwert said:

There's an option to set the volume of the background music in the sound settings of Bigbox at the bottom.

Ahhhh....you have to scroll down past the bottom of the screen. Holly...can't tell you how many times I've been through this menu and never saw that option. What i did was lower the decibes in my background music so it was quieter. Guess I won't have to do that again.

Edited by Styphelus
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Styphelus said:

Ahhhh....you have to scroll down past the bottom of the screen. Holly...can't tell you how many times I've been through this menu and never saw that option. What i did was lower the decibes in my background music so it was quieter. Guess I won't have to do that again.

Glad my insight was useful! I'm still mega new to Launchbox/Bigbox, but I have been doing a lot of snooping on the menus. :D