LaunchBox Community Forums

Some issues with multiple displays

Chadmando

Hello, just got launchbox and have been setting it up for several days now, it is so far the best program for my needs, however I have one issue, and I've seen it mentioned before on here on google (and maybe theres a fix for it?).

I have my PC (windows) in the living room, and a television connected via hdmi. I would like to be able to switch big box to either which screen, which I can do through the settings however the emulator always runs in my primary (PC) display. I am not a fan of running extra third party software, but is there a fix for this being worked on? Is it possible to implement a temp fix such as adding a hotkey into the settings applied to controller (WIN+SHIFT arrow)? Thanks

My goal is to be able to easily switch between what display to play games without going into other programs settings, etc. (This setup is for my family that aren't so computer savvy).

Unfortunately this is not something easily done and I know you said you don't like extra 3rd party software but I did manage to get something to work.

First off I use Controller Companion which can be bought on Steam for just a couple of bucks http://store.steampowered.com/app/367670/Controller_Companion/ and you don't need to have Steam running to use it if you don't want to, it will run fine without Steam running. Another option which is completely free and open source if you prefer is AntiMicro https://sourceforge.net/projects/antimicroportable/ which is quite good as well but not quite as user friendly.

You would have to create a profile for each emulator but that doesn't take much effort because Controller Companion is very user friendly. In fact it's so easy I will try and write up a tutorial guide on how to do this exact thing. What I did was I created a profile for Retroarch and in that profile I set it up so that if I press & hold the "Back" button on my XBox 360 controller and then press and hold "R1" and "R2" (this becomes Shift and Windows key) and then the "Right Analog Stick" becomes my arrow keys. I can press all this together to move the emulator window back and forth between my 2 monitors. The only issue I had was the game screen size would be off and I had to toggle fullscreen off and on again but this was because my 2 monitors are different resolutions, I would imagine that if they were the same resolution it wouldn't have this problem but I cannot test that out at all in my setup. A simpler button press combo could maybe be made but I wanted something that would be extremely unlikely to ever accidentally be pressed during game play.

Something similar might be able to be replicated using a Auto Hotkey Script and put into the AHK Script tab of the Edit Emulator window for each emulator but I am no expert when it comes to that at all. If this is possible hopefully someone much more knowledgeable with it can help you out there.

If you want to be able to change which display the emulator launches on the fly this is the only method I can think of but if you always want your games loading on the same display all the time then it would actually be pretty easy to add in an AHK script to auto press Win + Shift + Arrow but like I said it would run every time you run the emulator.