LaunchBox Community Forums

background audio on game selection ?

pezley

Hey all, I'm wondering if there's a way to play background audio on game selection menu. I still want the game video audio to play as well. It's come about because on my arcade, a lot of older titles didnt have audio on the attract screen so the videos lack any sound, it's disjointing scrolling through games and having audio gaps so I thought a ambient arcade sound track in the background would be good. Any thoughts on how to do it ?

8 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

There are sound options in your BigBox settings to “enable background music” and one to “prioritize soundtrack music over video audio”. Try tinkering with the settings there. 

Had a go at that but nothing played, do you know where the audio file needs to be placed ? maybe i dumped it in the wrong location

2 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I think there is a background folder in the Music folder of your launchbox drive. Each system will have a named folder for music for the games there as well. I have not messed with music much, but I recall seeing that folder. 

I think thats where it went but I'll give it another go :) thanks

I just tested and it works. I dropped a music file in the backgorund folder. I did not rename it so it does not need to be a specific name. Then I set my sound setting in BigBox by checking “enable background music” and “prioritize soundtrack music over video audio”. Videos still play but only the music file is audible. 

Just now, Retro808 said:

I just tested and it works. I dropped a music file in the backgorund folder. I did not rename it so it does not need to be a specific name. Then I set my sound setting in BigBox by checking “enable background music” and “prioritize soundtrack music over video audio”. Videos still play but only the music file is audible. 

Any ideas if you can have both ? so videos play but the background audio is ambient ?

20 minutes ago, pezley said:

Any ideas if you can have both ? so videos play but the background audio is ambient ?

You should be able to leave the prioritize box unchecked. Both the video audio will play and the music file audio, then you would probably have to adjust the music volume level. There are setting for the video and music volume levels.