LaunchBox Community Forums

Convert PS1 to EBOOT & Retain Game Title?

Nomar1245

I would like to convert my 400+ PS1 games to EBOOT, but I'm running into the following issue.

PSX2PSP 1.4.2 can convert on an individual basis, and will output to the Game's Name, or it can batch convert to the Game ID. It will not do both. I have a PSP that I would like to have the option to play on, and I would like to save some space if I can, so converting to EBOOT is pretty desirable to me, but only if I know what they are being converted to. The ULUS-10241 type naming convention is making this process very difficult.

Does anyone have some suggestions on how to manage this?

Edited by Nomar1245

• 8 months later...

There is the create folder option that allows using the game title that might work. You could then use the import feature within LB to use folder title for import rather than the ROM title. Not ideal but one way but would be quickest without having to go to second step with a file renaming tool.

image.png.11a49aff02921d4f3c2aefbc9d82dd4e.png

4 hours ago, sundogak said:

There is the create folder option that allows using the game title that might work. You could then use the import feature within LB to use folder title for import rather than the ROM title. Not ideal but one way but would be quickest without having to go to second step with a file renaming tool.

image.png.11a49aff02921d4f3c2aefbc9d82dd4e.png

This doesnt work in batch mode. We dont want to do game 1 by 1. Batch mode can only output game id folder with eboot.pbp file. So if there is no game name in folder title or in file name LaunchBox has nothing to work with. Well at least I found so far a way to batch convert multi bin files into one *.cue *.bin format. That will save me some time on 3000 isos.

Well, ultimately when compressed mine that is why I went the CHD route since I missed you could do any batch method with PSX2PSP.  Other than my multi-discs which I did convert to PBP, all rest I bulk converted to CHD with batch script.  However, the CHD route doesn't work with the ePSX standalone emulator, only the Retroarch core. 

1 hour ago, sundogak said:

Well, ultimately when compressed mine that is why I went the CHD route since I missed you could do any batch method with PSX2PSP.  Other than my multi-discs which I did convert to PBP, all rest I bulk converted to CHD with batch script.  However, the CHD route doesn't work with the ePSX standalone emulator, only the Retroarch core. 

I just wish somebody finished the damn job programming PSX2PSP as software have more potential. Im trying to figure out how to make RetroArch scan the PBP files, do you have any idea how to do it? It sees BIN/CUE files but not PBP.

Weird, it scans in my CHD files but skips the PBP files with Retroarch scan even though they use the same naming convention and the Beetle PSX HW core runs PBP format. I don't scan things into Retroarch since LB does what need it to do so never noticed. Maybe some sort of import bug since I can see it stop at the PBP files for awhile then move onto CHD files.

2 minutes ago, sundogak said:

Weird, it scans in my CHD files but skips the PBP files with RetroArch scan even though they use the same naming convention and the Beetle PSX HW core runs PBP format. I don't scan things into RetroArch since LB does what need it to do so never noticed. Maybe some sort of import bug since I can see it stop at the PBP files for awhile then move onto CHD files.

I only use RetroArch. LB is to heavy for me and its just too much if you know what I mean. I bought license but i dont use it. What is this CHD format, does RetroArch recognizes it and is it smaller size than bin/cue?

22 minutes ago, sundogak said:

Weird, it scans in my CHD files but skips the PBP files with Retroarch scan even though they use the same naming convention and the Beetle PSX HW core runs PBP format. I don't scan things into Retroarch since LB does what need it to do so never noticed. Maybe some sort of import bug since I can see it stop at the PBP files for awhile then move onto CHD files.

You helped me a lot. This CHD format is great. Works, scans in RetroArch without any problem. Has better compression than PBP and I think I used the script you wrote with few changes to do it all automatically.

@echo on

SET "SourceDir=D:\Playstation Conversion\1. Compressed Games"
SET "WorkDir=D:\Playstation Conversion\2. In Progress"
SET "DestDir=D:\Playstation Conversion\3. Job Done"

mkdir "%WorkDir%"
mkdir "%DestDir%"

for /f "tokens=*" %%a in ('dir /b /a-d "%SourceDir%"') do (

7z.exe x "%SourceDir%\%%a" -o"%WorkDir%\%%~Na"

for /f "tokens=*" %%b in ('dir /b /a-d "%WorkDir%\%%~Na\*.cue"') do ( 
		chdman createcd -i "%WorkDir%\%%~Na\%%b" -o "%DestDir%\%%~Nb.chd"

if exist "%DestDir%\%%~Nb.chd" (
			chdman extractcd -i "%DestDir%\%%~Nb.chd" -o "%DestDir%\%%~Nb.cue" -ob "%DestDir%\%%~Nb.bin"
			del "%DestDir%\%%~Nb.bin"
			del "%DestDir%\%%~Nb.cue"
			del "%SourceDir%\%%~Nb.7z"
			rd "%WorkDir%\%%~Na" /S /Q
		)
	)
)

pause

Glad you landed on something that is working for your setup.  Whenever possible, I try to use that format for CD games if the emulator will support.  ePSX (standalone) is one of few found that will not play CHDs. The one advantage to CHD is it is a reversible compression process so can always go back to BIN/ISO if needed.

One thing ran into recently is that the CHD.exe was updated to "V5" a couple MAME versions back and anything compressed in newer version has some differences.  Most cores seem fine, but I found the Sega Dreamcast cores had issues. The Retroarch Reicast core gags on the V5 CHD compressed files although works fine on older compressed versions (which drove me crazy wondering why wasn't working on some and not others). Redream core works fine either way and Demul standalone works.  I did see that there they have patches in works to update Reicast so they are at least working it.