LaunchBox Community Forums

"unable to open the voice file on the cd-rom"

Mica

Hey all

Last night, I installed the old dos game, Death Gate. It came as bin and cue files, so I converted the bin file to an iso, and then used imgmount to mount and install it. It installed the game's directory into my mounted local directory, and then left me in that directory. I was able to execute the exe file, and played for a little while. Today, however, it is not working. I go into the game directory and type "dgate." It responds with "Unable to open the voice file on the cd-rom. Verify that the CD-ROM is in the drive (shiney side down). You might also check the VOCDATA path in the LEGEND.INI file." Not sure what I need to do and why it worked last night but not now.

Thanks

Mica

In your DGATE folder you should see a file named LEGEND.INI. Open that up in a text editor, and check to see that these lines look like this:

GAMEDATA=C:\DGATE\
PICDATA=C:\DGATE\
VOCDATA=C:\DGATE\
SAVEDATA=C:\DGATE\

The folder where the game is located must also be named DGATE.

Now, in Launchbox, make sure that in the "folder" tab you have the root folder set as a path one level up from DGATE. In my case, the full path to it is X:\Emulation\DOS\DGATE so you'd need to have it set to just X:\Emulation\DOS\ in that case, or, since I have relative paths, just ..\DOS\

The reason for this is the Legend.ini wants to navigate into DGATE from C: (which is the location you're specifying in the folder tab).

Alternately, you could have the folder named whatever you want, have it specified in the folder tab, and just remove the DGATE\ parts in the LEGEND.INI so that they just said:

GAMEDATA=C:\
PICDATA=C:\
VOCDATA=C:\
SAVEDATA=C:\

Either one would work.

Also, be sure to verify that your disc image is set in the mounts tab.

image.thumb.png.e48654a468911cc6dda885fc3b699292.pngimage.thumb.png.21418c33236369c542ac81a6c5631aa0.pngimage.thumb.png.568fc8add615c2d7b5081e6276dccf73.pngimage.png.7688e2048c2f07a677359a8950d4ba3d.png

So, uhm, I didn't have launchbox installed. I was just using dosbox.... I installed launchbox, deleted the old dosbox installation of death gate and then used launchbox to install the game. Working fine now... Thanks