LaunchBox Community Forums

searching for a theme

sw1fty808

Hi

Does anyone know of a theme which has a game view that is simply a full screen video with a wheel that will fade out of view?
I just want to use such a theme for MAME with the themed videos. I have tried various themes but all of them have some type of window over the top of the background video for every view I select.

Please help a frustrated old fool.

Yeah, most themes have this view like the theme CriticalZone theme that comes default with BigBox or CityHunter includes this view, and to change views, you have to set a key in the settings. For example i have mine set to S to switch views until i find the view i like or the view you are looking for. Hope this helps,

The problem I have is that although many themes will have a suitable view, I can only achieve it by unticking some boxes in options to remove the text and box art. That would work fine except that I only want this view for the MAME platform. I don't want the box art and game details missing from other systems.
The option to have platform specific themes is great but those layout options I need changed are applied across the board. I was hoping there might be a theme which takes care of this.

What theme are you using. I tried it with the CityHunter theme and  it has the view you are looking for and it works like the way you want it. It could be possible that the theme you are trying doesn't have that view with the fade out effects. One thing you can do since bigbox supports different themes per platform, is download the cityhunter theme if you dont have, it or use the CriticalZone theme, and go into MAME, press the J (Default key to switch themes) and choose CityHunter or CritialZone to use just for MAMAE, then change the view, and you should find the view you are looking for. This way you can still use the theme that you like and your favorite views for other platforms and have the view that you want to MAMAE. Hope this is not confusing.

Edited by ea4492

Thank you for making the effort to help me with this.
I don't think I was being very clear. I've found a solution now but the problem was that I could only remove the game details and box cover from view by unselecting them in options but that then removes them from every active theme.
My main theme for all other platforms is RetroFresh Detailed. I love that theme and I like having the box art and game details displayed. It was only MAME that I wanted those game details and box art hidden from view so that I could have only a full screen background video and a wheel.
I solved my issue by downloading the WheelFadeDemo theme, opening the view file with notepad++ and deleting all lines referencing game details and box art. I now use that theme for MAME and it's exactly what I was after.

Thank you.

Here is the video.

As you can see, im using the CityHunter theme as my default, and im using different themes for the other platforms, but i didnt show it in the video, and the cityhunter theme has the view that does what you are looking for, for MAME without doing anything special or modifying any file.

Edited by ea4492
  • Like 1

I was just experimenting with this. It is almost perfect but not quite there. It's better than my solution in the sense that with this method I also get the additional information on the right-hand side which fades out. That's fantastic.
The problem with this is that the video isn't full screen. It's confined to a centered box. The method I'm using fades the wheel and leaves the video filling the entire screen. But now you have me wanting that box and info on the right to appear and fade out too. I do not have that.
If there is a way for me to edit the view of this cityhunter theme to make the video full screen, I will be very happy.

its because my videos are hyperspin recorded videos and they are in 4:3, but if you have 16:9 videos, they wont be centered like that theyll be in full screen.

2 minutes ago, sw1fty808 said:

I was just experimenting with this. It is almost perfect but not quite there. It's better than my solution in the sense that with this method I also get the additional information on the right-hand side which fades out. That's fantastic.
The problem with this is that the video isn't full screen. It's confined to a centered box. The method I'm using fades the wheel and leaves the video filling the entire screen. But now you have me wanting that box and info on the right to appear and fade out too. I do not have that.
If there is a way for me to edit the view of this cityhunter theme to make the video full screen, I will be very happy.

Edited by ea4492

Oh I see. Unfortunately I am using the same videos. I don't think there are 16:9 versions of those available. I'm on a 21:9 monitor anyway.
I guess the theme I'm using currently just stretches them to full screen. Maybe I can look at employing some type of overlay image for the sides so that I can use this theme and not have black bars.

11 minutes ago, sw1fty808 said:

Oh I see. Unfortunately I am using the same videos. I don't think there are 16:9 versions of those available. I'm on a 21:9 monitor anyway.
I guess the theme I'm using currently just stretches them to full screen. Maybe I can look at employing some type of overlay image for the sides so that I can use this theme and not have black bars.

that would be cool, to fill in the black bars, and on a 21:9 monitor, youll always have black bars, with 16:9 videos, but there might me a way to stretch the videos by changing something in the theme xaml file for that view, but im not good at that, so someone else in the forums can help you with that, but other than that im  glad i could help you out.

Edited by ea4492

Tweaked a few things in the view xaml and got the videos full screen stretched and even added a scanline overlay image to help the appearance of some of the videos which didn't look so pretty in full screen. Made a huge difference and all is dandy now.

Thanks a lot for the help.

• Like 2