LaunchBox Community Forums

Spectrum emulation problems

Benjiman

Hi, I'm new to Launchbox but was able to configure it for Sega and Mame without a problem.  Having problems with Spectrum however...

I have the latest builds of Launchbox/Retroarch/BIgBox (registered)/FUSE and Windows 10.

I followed the video but things are just SO different in RetroArch from how its described:

I don't have the choice of controller that are shown (kempston, sinclair etc) only have the basic 'retropad' etc...

The menu system is different for starters.

I can get a game to load to the first screen but then i can't select anything, controller or 2 player .. the keyboard does nothing.

my xbox controller works fine for sega and mame but again does nothing for Spectrum...

I've loaded/deleted and reloaded RetroArch and Fuse but no joy.

tried with and without the controller plugged in.

Any ideas ?? 

Hi and welcome to the community. :) 

Spectrum works just fine in retroarch. Im guessing you are using the main settings in retroarch to set your controller, when you should be using the quick menu. When you have a spectrum game loaded up hit F1 on the keyboard to bring up the quick menu, this particular menu is only available while a game is loaded to a core and is specifically options for said core. There will be a controls option in that menu which is were you should choose Kempston as the controller and choose save core remap in that menu to have that auto load in future. As for actually using it in game most spectrum games make you press a key to specify your controls, keyboard, Kempston etc. By default the back/select button on your controller will bring up the spectrum onscreen keyboard, then you just need to press whatever button the game wants for Kempston, this varies from game to game.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Hi Niel and thank you so much. I can select the kempstone joystick now.

I told bigbox about the controller and it sees it ok.

I did what you said with the quick menu... but still the xbox controller does nothing so i can't get the onscreen spectrum keyboard. Oh the frustration! Anything else i should know?

9 minutes ago, Benjiman said:

Hi Niel and thank you so much. I can select the kempstone joystick now.

I told bigbox about the controller and it sees it ok.

I did what you said with the quick menu... but still the xbox controller does nothing so i can't get the onscreen spectrum keyboard. Oh the frustration! Anything else i should know?

Hmm, intriguing. im gonna guess with all due respect you did something wrong. :)  cause it does work just fine here. :)

Bigbox doesn't care about your controller im sad to say, that's for bigbox only, emulators don't care. Did you bring up the spectrum keyboard and navigate to the key needed to start the game?