LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch beginner help needed

PowerCooker

hi guys.

I'm getting a 1TB hdd soon that should have nothing on it (its New) and i wanted to install launchbox on it and have it set up to play various consoles on it.

Now i already have launchbox installed on another drive but i think that drive might be packing it in but also that uses stand alone emulators to run stuff.

i heard retroarch can be run in launchbox and emulates things much better and more accurately. However i have never used this before and have no clue were to get it from or how to set things up.

if i installed launchbox on the blank drive what exactly would i have to do next to get the games to run via lunchbox with retro-arch? I'm new to doing this so any help/advice would be appreciated 

14 minutes ago, PowerCooker said:

does the latest retro-arch have demul (dreamcast emulator) and that new Saturn one (mednefen was it?) or do i have to install these manually? 

sorry I'm new to actually doing all this myself

Mednafen Saturn is available although its called Beetle Saturn in the UI, Demul is standalone only and not available in Retroarch.

Reicast is the Dreamcast core in Retroarch but its not very good, so you are best sticking with Demul. Same with Dolphin there is a core but it's fairly new and not as good as the standalone. I use Retroarch for as many systems as I can, but there are some systems where to get the best experience you will still have to use standalone emulators.

that's basically what I'm looking at trying to do. I plan to get a 2tb hdd and install launchbox on it and have retro-arch run as many of the games as possible. But then for others like demul and dolphin i suspected i might have to run stuff manually...

like i originally stated any help, advice would be good