LaunchBox Community Forums

libretro_path is not set error when launching mame files.

jacob.pederson

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Have you actually setup MAME to use retroarch in Launchbox? Also why is your Retroarch in your app data/roaming folder, thats probably the issue right there.

I think so, otherwise I wouldn't be getting a retroarch error popping up when I launch the games (see screenshot).  Why would the install folder cause issues?  I'm pretty sure that is the default install location for retroarch on windows.

There is a whole complaint thread for the install location lol  

Edited by jacob.pederson

You shouldnt really use the installer for retroarch just use the portable 7z version. The app data/roaming folder is hidden by default in Windows and it does that for a reason, you shouldnt really be messing with things in there. My guess is windows is not allowing Launchbox to launch games from there for security reasons. I just created a Emulators folder inside my Launchbox folder and keep all my emulators in there.

15 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

You shouldnt really use the installer for retroarch just use the portable 7z version. The app data/roaming folder is hidden by default in Windows and it does that for a reason, you shouldnt really be messing with things in there. My guess is windows is not allowing Launchbox to launch games from there for security reasons. I just created a Emulators folder inside my Launchbox folder and keep all my emulators in there.

I don't think this is the issue because I had no issue launching SNES games through this same retroarch install.

1 minute ago, jacob.pederson said:

I don't think this is the issue because I had no issue launching SNES games through this same retroarch install.

From Launchbox? If that is the case then have you downloaded a MAME core and told Launchbox to use the correct one? Also i would still recommend using the portable Retroarch and using it from another location but that is your choice, however i wont be able to help troubleshoot that much as i dont use the installer version or have my retroarch in that privileged app data/roaming folder.

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

From Launchbox? If that is the case then have you downloaded a MAME core and told Launchbox to use the correct one? Also i would still recommend using the portable Retroarch and using it from another location but that is your choice, however i wont be able to help troubleshoot that much as i dont use the installer version or have my retroarch in that privileged app data/roaming folder.

Yes, launching the SNES games from launchbox, using retroarch as the emulator works correctly.  I'm not sure where to tell launchbox to use a specific core.  I thought it was grabbing the core preferences from the retroarch playlist. 

I have around 80 hours in to setting up this retroarch install already, I was adding launchbox because some of my games need specific renderers (d3d vs opengl) and retroarch doesn't support switching renderers.  I saw that launchbox had the command line options thing and figured that was my best bet.  

11 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

It's definitely the core causing problems.  When I add a manual command line switch path to the core like so (retroarch -L /path/to/libretro/core.so game.rom) in the launchbox properties, the game launches correctly.  Is there a spot somewhere to select this, so I'm not doing this for every game? 

3 minutes ago, jacob.pederson said:

I'm not sure where to tell launchbox to use a specific core.  I thought it was grabbing the core preferences from the retroarch playlist. 

Yes Launchbox needs you to specify the correct core to use for the platform. Go to tools/manage emulator double click retroarch and go to the associated platforms tab. In here you will have to add the name of your platform if its not listed, and it has to be named EXACTLY as it is listed on the left of Launchbox, then if you are on the latest version double click where the core is and use the dropdown to select the correct one,if you are not on the latest release you will need to type it in.

Screenshot (123).png

2 minutes ago, jacob.pederson said:

YES!  This is what was causing it.  The SNES one had an core association already in there or created automatically.  The MAME one didn't even have a platform.  Thanks so much for your help!  

Yeah there are some defaults in there but it's not exhaustive, MAME is usually called Arcade so it's not there by default. Glad you hot it working though.