LaunchBox Community Forums

Questions about DOSBox for WIn 3.1 or 9x games?

Firefairy

Before I started using LaunchBox, I got a VirtualBox install of Windows 98 set up with about a dozen games. It worked, but I would prefer to be able to see the games separately in LaunchBox, so I am looking around and noticing people have old Windows versions running in DOSBox. I have a lot of questions for anyone who has done this.

Does that work well with LaunchBox?

Do you end up having a separate install of Windows for each game, or can you store the files somewhere central to avoid bloat?

Can you run games so that they pop up directly, or do you still have to select them from the start menu or shortcuts once the Windows inside DOSBox opens?

For anyone who has tried both, is this easier/more effective than having the games in a virtual machine in something like VirtualBox?

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the super late reply, missed this thread.

I use DOSBox Daum for 3.1 and PCem for 95.

On 7/5/2018 at 4:54 AM, Firefairy said:

Do you end up having a separate install of Windows for each game

Yes.

or can you store the files somewhere central to avoid bloat?

You can, but at that point it's not going to work very seemlessly with Launchbox. The way way that I make specific games launch on start is by adding them to the boot ini for 3.1 so that the game starts as soon as the OS boots. It's the same idea with 95 stuff except I use the startup folder. The size of 3.1 is very small (insignificant). 95 is obviously bigger, but not gigantic. 

Can you run games so that they pop up directly, or do you still have to select them from the start menu or shortcuts once the Windows inside DOSBox opens?

See above.

For anyone who has tried both, is this easier/more effective than having the games in a virtual machine in something like VirtualBox?

It's in a virtual environment either way, whether it be DOS or anything else. As far as "easier", it's not a huge deal either way - I prefer DOSBox for 3.1 as it's quite good for running 3.1 and setup is generally pretty quick. I use PCem for 95 stuff because it supports hardware acceleration and emulates upwards of a Voodoo 2.

I have some relevant game packages on my website that you can check out if you want an example of each of these.

Spaceship Warlock would be an example of 3.1 and Obsidian is 95.