LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box won't start

Ikarmue

Alright, this is a problem that I've had for a few months now, but only now just got the time to focus on fixing it. Earlier this year, my PC kicked the bucket, though my storage drives survived whatever the flying fuck happened. Anyways, after getting what is a much better HTPC setup, I have been trying to get Big Box to work. Launchbox by itself will work, but for whatever reason, Big Box just doesn't want to cooperate. And yes,  I did reinstall it, move my license file over to the new installation, and shit still didn't work. I've also made sure it's updated to the latest version! It just hangs until I kill it via the Task Manager.

Why won't Big Box start in any way, shape, or form now?

There's not a whole lot of details in this post to really assist for sure (what OS, what video card, etc.) So, not sure what might be causing the issues you're seeing. That being said, there are a couple of obvious things you can check in case you didn't yet:

1st - Make sure you have the latest drivers installed for whatever video card you have in your new system.

- nVidia - http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
- AMD - https://support.amd.com/en-us/download

2nd - Make sure you have DirectX installed.  This does not install typically with Windows 10, and I believe it's required for BB to run properly.  LB/BB typically installed this during it's setup, but perhaps something went wrong and that's the case.  So, worth checking to make sure it's installed correcty.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=35

3rd - Again, the post is a little vague, so not sure where you have LB installed.  If it's in the program files, or program files x86 folders, it might be a admin control issue.  Anything installed in those folders now days typically need admin rights to work properly, which is why I recommend installing LB/BB outside of those folders (for example C:\Games or C:\Emulator... you get the drift).  If you do have them installed in the program files folders, try right clicking on LB/BB and selecting Run as administrator to see if BB launches properly.  If it does, you can tell it to launch that way everytime by right-clicking the icon, select Properties, on the properties window click on the Compatibility tab, then check the box next to Run this program as an administrator.

Hopefully one of these items will assist you in getting BB running.  If not, maybe they'll help someone else.  I know they are obvious things to check, but sometimes the obvious is the answer :)

CDBlue