LaunchBox Community Forums

Home theatre Retro-PC

Nickyb210

22 hours ago, voicesinthedark said:

That's a nice setup you've got going there.

And you already started down the rabbit hole the second you started getting into emulation. lol  

Thank you, I just realized the PC i have is a DT version so only enough room for 1 HD in there, I can probably sneak 2 SSD's in there though. :(

1 hour ago, Nickyb210 said:

Thank you, I just realized the PC i have is a DT version so only enough room for 1 HD in there, I can probably sneak 2 SSD's in there though. :(

yeah but the problem with that is you said you were trying to do this as cheap as possible and more ssds are pretty much going to bend you over without lube price wise for enough storage space to make it worth it. That being said, if you think you've got run to sneak in another ssd or two then you could always go with a 2tb 2.5 inch laptop hdd or two which would only raise the cost per drive about 20 dollars from the more standard 3.5 inch drives. Incase you're not familair with the difference here's a 2.5 inch laptop hdd for example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C4W2P18/ref=psdc_1254762011_t2_B010CBASS0

On 8/8/2018 at 4:21 PM, voicesinthedark said:

yeah but the problem with that is you said you were trying to do this as cheap as possible and more ssds are pretty much going to bend you over without lube price wise for enough storage space to make it worth it. That being said, if you think you've got run to sneak in another ssd or two then you could always go with a 2tb 2.5 inch laptop hdd or two which would only raise the cost per drive about 20 dollars from the more standard 3.5 inch drives. Incase you're not familair with the difference here's a 2.5 inch laptop hdd for example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C4W2P18/ref=psdc_1254762011_t2_B010CBASS0

hmmm sucks emuP is down :( I was thinking about getting a 1-2TB hd for this and a very large external HD for a backup for this plus my other computer that has a couple TB of my photos on it. Thoughts on that?

Also, I just got the 1030 graphics card in, for N64, do i need to install texture packs or will just the card be enough to smooth things out>?

Edited by Nickyb210

16 minutes ago, Nickyb210 said:

hmmm sucks emuP is down :( I was thinking about getting a 1-2TB hd for this and a very large external HD for a backup for this plus my other computer that has a couple TB of my photos on it. Thoughts on that?

Also, I just got the 1030 graphics card in, for N64, do i need to install texture packs or will just the card be enough to smooth things out>?

emuparadise? If that's what you were referring to I just checked it and it loaded for me. 

Considering you can get a 2TB HDD for around 50 dollars I personally wouldn't go smaller than that, and yeah a large external backup drive to backup both of your system is a good idea. Just make sure you check reviews on whichever one you decide on before you get it, they tend to run hot and blow the control board that's inside the case and then you end up having to crack it open and install it directly in the system anyways or buy a new casing/control board for it.

I haven't messed around with texture packs as of yet, but I can say just from my personal experience emulating games, I think they're definitely worth giving a try. Some games and systems age well and others will just plain out make your eyes bleed trying to play them.