LaunchBox Community Forums

WinPE build with framework for Launchbox

ichimitch

I'm a Launch Box user from way back. Before the days of Big Box mode. I then found myself way too busy with work and family to have any fun :( So now that I'm gloriously unemployed (I'm honestly loving it) and have time to do what I love, Launch Box was on the top of my list. My how it has grown :) 

I'm trying to compile a build of WinPE (Windows Preinstallation Environment) which contains all of the dependancies for Launchbox and various emulators.

So far I've managed to compile a build which is 2.6gb in size and contains:
.Net Framework
C++ Runtime libraries
Direct X 11
various .dll files needed for certain emulators

In this environment Launchbox runs fine in desktop mode. However Big Box mode crashes pretty much instantly.

I realize this is unintended usage and in no way warrants support. However if anyone here is able to tell me exactly what Big Box requires in order to run, I will be able to include those dependencies in my WinPE build.  So if anyone here has that knowledge it would be a great help to me!

WinPE_launchy.png

noice.png

Edited by ichimitch

@ichimitch That should just about cover it, though you may be missing some DirectX libraries if you only have DirectX 11. Make sure you have every DirectX library ever (you'll need them for emulators anyways). This should include all of them: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Also, you'll need to make sure both Big Box and LaunchBox separately are configured to use VLC instead of Windows Media Player, as obviously Windows Media Player won't be included.

Running Big Box on ancient hardware isn't going to work out very well, but I am interested to know if you successfully get everything running on WinPE. :)

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

@ichimitch That should just about cover it, though you may be missing some DirectX libraries if you only have DirectX 11. Make sure you have every DirectX library ever (you'll need them for emulators anyways). This should include all of them: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Also, you'll need to make sure both Big Box and LaunchBox separately are configured to use VLC instead of Windows Media Player, as obviously Windows Media Player won't be included.

Running Big Box on ancient hardware isn't going to work out very well, but I am interested to know if you successfully get everything running on WinPE. :)

I'm honored to get a response from the man Jason himself; and so quickly :)

Thanks for the input. I'll head over to the TheOven.org right now to ask the guys there how I can go about adding the rest of the DirectX
libraries.

• Like 1

I got a reply from someone over at TheOven.org who is already running WinPE as the OS in their arcade cabinet!  There is light at the end of the tunnel :)

I have asked them a bunch of questions because I am honestly out of my depth. 

They were also interested to hear about the Launchbox frontend and just downloaded it to check it out :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ichimitch said:

I got a reply from someone over at TheOven.org who is already running WinPE as the OS in their arcade cabinet!  There is light at the end of the tunnel :)

I have asked them a bunch of questions because I am honestly out of my depth. 

They were also interested to hear about the Launchbox frontend and just downloaded it to check it out :)

Good to hear. :)