LaunchBox Community Forums

Gens-GS r7 on LaunchBox?

Trash_Bandatcoot

I can't get GENS-GS r7 to work with LaunchBox. I know that I can use Kega Fusion, but I prefer GENS and I've already overwriten the Kega Fusion settings with the GENS settings.

However, even if I looked up this post (https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/28762-emulator-settings-for-all-platforms/) it just doesn't work, however, I can launch the emulator by clicking on "Launch Gens-GS r7".

What commands am I suppost to use for startup, or what am I doing wrong?

I just had a short go at messing with this and here is what worked for me. I downloaded the version from this website though I don't know if it is the exact one you are using. https://segaretro.org/Gens/GS

Right click the executable for the emulator and run it in Windows 7 compatibility. By the looks of it this emulator hasn't seen an update since 2009 and looking in the cfg file it uses Direct Draw 4. This will work and load games but much like Fusion it is very messy in the way it handles resolution switching when going into fullscreen mode.336857203_2018-08-2612_57_25-gens.exeProperties.thumb.png.361a74c93bf89fc63e296f26622e3128.png

In Launchbox it doesn't require any special settings at all.

1933196397_2018-08-2612_58_49-EditEmulator.thumb.png.66f8ccfaee1ab8222aa50f587934c697.png164303046_2018-08-2612_58_54-EditEmulator.thumb.png.7cf717e79861e26cc09135e3a1f5c42f.pngI highly recommend looking for another option in Genesis emulators such as Retroarch with the GenesisGX core. If you are one of those "I hate Retroarch" people then Mame emulates the Genesis quite well, Mednafen does a very good job as well and BizHawk is another great choice, it uses the same GenesisGX code that Retroarch uses.

Thanks! I forgot to remove the -gen, -32x and -scd command lines, but I never thought of running Gens in compatibility mode.

A lot of people also tell me to use Kega Fusion, but I only use it when I need it. Because of the menu's, configs and some extra features, people can't really change my mind.

The version I used was "Gens-GS r7 - SonMP3 Edition" and was last updated in 2010. You must've downloaded an older version, but it still worked.