LaunchBox Community Forums

Manually Add ROM

greenhouse

I'm sure others have had this problem and when I did a search nothing came up.  I don't think the search engine is working.  So I apologize for a duplicate question.  I have LaunchBox Premium and I am having problems with adding ROMs.  In MAME I am missing thousands.  I heard LaunchBox doesn't do so great with MAME.  So I am looking to manually add ROMs through Tools-Import.  I tried it with a Nintendo 64 ROM that is missing from LaunchBox and it didn't work.  The file extension is correct.  The game plays fine.  I tried 4 times.  Is there some kind of issue if a ROM is not in LaunchBox's database it won't load?

Just now, greenhouse said:

I'm sure others have had this problem and when I did a search nothing came up.  I don't think the search engine is working.  So I apologize for a duplicate question.  I have LaunchBox Premium and I am having problems with adding ROMs.  In MAME I am missing thousands.  I heard LaunchBox doesn't do so great with MAME.  So I am looking to manually add ROMs through Tools-Import.  I tried it with a Nintendo 64 ROM that is missing from LaunchBox and it didn't work.  The file extension is correct.  The game plays fine.  I tried 4 times.  Is there some kind of issue if a ROM is not in LaunchBox's database it won't load?

Well there are 2 questions here, when you say MAME is missing thousands of games what exactly do you mean? Did you import a fullset using the new fullset importer? and did you leave all the filter box's checked? I imported a full non-merged set and left the default filters on and i have 2760 MAME games imported, which is correct. As i am sure you are aware there are thousonds of MAME games that dont work so importing them is pointless in my opinion.

As for the N64 question, it doesnt matter if a game is in our database or not, it will still import. If you are getting a "0 games were imported" message after importing that is because that game is already imported, it may be under a different name if the US and Japan name were different.

Ok.  I didn't realize that that many MAME's are bad.  I have over 10,000 and it loaded 2842 so it looks like I'm good then.  Thanks.

I see what you are talking about N64 games having different names, I've noticed that before and it actually does load both.  I went through and deleted all duplicates.  There are a few games that are not duplicates and will not load.  I will play around with it some more.

Thanks for your response and help.

7 minutes ago, greenhouse said:

Ok.  I didn't realize that that many MAME's are bad.  I have over 10,000 and it loaded 2842 so it looks like I'm good then.  Thanks.

I see what you are talking about N64 games having different names, I've noticed that before and it actually does load both.  I went through and deleted all duplicates.  There are a few games that are not duplicates and will not load.  I will play around with it some more.

Thanks for your response and help.

Usually when a game has a North American Name and a Japanese name they are combined, so if you right click on the game you should have a choice of which version to run.