LaunchBox Community Forums

Tankstick not working in game

Erik V

Would help to know what emulator. Tankstick should work relatively easy on most emulators. I use it with not much issue. The 4 settings on the tankstick are only for custom mapping the controls of the tanktick to specific keys if you do not want to use the stock mapping. Mode 1 is not programmable. Mode 2-3 are. 

Did you open the emulator and bind the controls to your tankstick?

MAME is the first one I’m trying to setup. I must be making a big rookie mistake. I can scroll through the various systems, I can highlight a game. But then no button works to pick the game. I can hit enter on the keyboard to pick a game but then the joystick doesn’t work in the game. Sorry if I’m not explaining it well enough. This is my first attempt at getting this setup. 

Thanks. 

You have to set the control mappings in both the emulators and in BigBox. Some will work outright, but always best to set them. 

For the games you will need map the controls in each emulator directly. For Mame just launch a game and hit Tab on your keyboard. Map the controls you want using the input options in Mame. You can set universal ones for all games using Input (General). Then afterwards you can set game specific ones by editing the controls in the option Input (This Machine).

Also go in the settings in BigBox and go to keyboard controls and map the controls you want for BigBox there for your Tankstick. 

I have the mapping in both mame and BigBox identical. When I push tab in the game it shows the same mapping as in the mame application. The joystick is still not working in the game. In the device mapping in mame I have keyboard chosen for the adstick. Is there something in bigbox that isn’t configured correctly? I’m at a loss what to try next. 

Do both joysticks not move or just one? If just one try turning the Num Lock on with your keyboard and see if that fixes. The Tankstick should work with Mame pretty much out the box with only a few button map changes.  Do you have the switch on the back of the tankstick in the #1 position (the position closest to the cable)?

For BigBox just set your controls in the keyboard mapping area of settings. Nothing really needs configuring outside of that. 

How old is the Tankstick? Coming out of the back of it does it have a PS/2 connector or USB cables? The older model usually had the P1 directional controls set to the number keys like in your BigBox image.

I see BB is recognizing the directional inputs as the Num 8, 6, 4, and 2 directions. Usually a good sign you need the NumLock on with a Tankstick. Did you try the NumLock like I mentioned?

In Mame it lists the directional arrows. Did you try remapping the directions controls in Mame to see if it shows the same Number directions like in BigBox?