LaunchBox Community Forums

xtension emulator edition plus with Nestopia

planetary

Hey folks,

Background: Loving Launchbox so far, with the Xtension Emulator Edition Plus stick.  It reads as a keyboard, which is perfect, since my main application is MAME, and it worked out of the box. Within Launchbox, I have other emulators set up.  Most are configured as cores inside Retroarch.  One of those is Nestopia.

I've gone through the effort of entering all my player 1 controls into Retroarch, with no core loaded.  The joystick's associated keyboard keys are  numpad8, numpad5, etc.

When I load a NES game:
1) buttons are fine, including A, B, and Select -- apparently my global controller config is carried through for buttons!
2) ...but the player1 joystick doesn't respond

In retroarch, hitting F1, you get to a quick menu and the D-pad controls *do* reference the global Retroarch labels, i.e. D Pad Up for up, etc.  And when I navigate over to the global player 1 controls, it indeed shows D Pad up as "numpad8" -- which is exactly the keyboard key associated with pushing the keystick up.

Am I missing something basic?  Any ideas?

Found a solution.

The correct values for these D-pad settings are "up", "down", "left", and "right".

I was messing around on YouTube, and accidentally hit the joystick to the right and noticed that the video advanced 5 seconds -- which would only happen if the stick was sending a left arrow key.  (Not an "L" key, as that advances a full 10 seconds.)  So I put two and two together, and edited retroarch.cfg, searched for player1_up, and so forth, and replaced the values. 

Bingo, worked.

Now on to the fact that the SNES emulator isn't picking up even the default core configs.  :)

Edited by planetary
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/30/2018 at 5:11 PM, planetary said:

Found a solution.

The correct values for these D-pad settings are "up", "down", "left", and "right".

I was messing around on YouTube, and accidentally hit the joystick to the right and noticed that the video advanced 5 seconds -- which would only happen if the stick was sending a left arrow key.  (Not an "L" key, as that advances a full 10 seconds.)  So I put two and two together, and edited retroarch.cfg, searched for player1_up, and so forth, and replaced the values

Bingo, worked.

Now on to the fact that the SNES emulator isn't picking up even the default core configs.  :)

Dude, thank you so much. This was making me completely batty. I couldn't figure out why my ipac joystick wasn't working. Something so simple and it's fixed. Thanks a bunch for this solution. :)

• Like 1