LaunchBox Community Forums

Easy Multiple Monitor Configuration switching [Solved]

JoeViking245

My arcade cab has its' 22" monitor plugged into the DVI port and a 60" TV plugged into the HDMI port.  I found myself sometimes just wanting to play on the cab and other times on the 'big screen'.  The problem I had was when playing on the cab while someone was watching [regular] TV, the cab (Windows 10 PC) would see multiple displays and "extended these displays".  Though it was merely a minor irritant, I just had to figure something out to simplify switching between settings.

The solution (I found at least) was using an Open Source program and creating a batch file. The program is:

Monitor Profile Switcher (MPF)
"Save and easily switch between Windows multi monitor configurations"
https://sourceforge.net/projects/monitorswitcher/

Through the programs GUI (MonitorSwitcherGUI.exe), it saves an xml of your current display settings.  So what I did was adjust my display settings for a single monitor and in MPF, saved profile as CabOnly.  Then adjusted the display settings for "Extend these displays" (set main display etc..) and in MPF, saved profile as CabAndTv.

I then created a batch file that uses the command line program (MonitorSwitcher.exe) to switch between the 2 profiles when executed. 

@echo off
if not exist "1.txt" goto :switch else goto :quit
:quit
MonitorSwitcher.exe -load:CabOnly.xml
del 1.txt /q
exit
:switch
MonitorSwitcher.exe -load:CabAndTv.xml
echo "Monitor Settings Switched!" > 1.txt
exit

The batch file creates/deletes a 'place holder' file (1.txt) so that it "knows" which profile it's in and thus switches to the other profile.

Caveat:  The MPF GUI saves the xml files to your 

C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Roaming\MonitorSwitcher\

directoy.  So for ease, you'll want to copy them to your MPF directory. (Create the batch file in there as well).  Send a shortcut of the batch file to your desktop and just double-click when you want to switch display profiles.

This can also be useful inside BigBox if you have a stubborn game that will only show on the "Main Display" and the TV is set to the 'extended display'.  Ok, I've only come across one like that: Lego Star Wars - The Complete Saga.  Created a MPF profile TvMainDisplay and in LaunchBox, Edit Game, Additional Apps. added Run before Main Application and Run After, respectively.

Anyway, just thought I'd share a solution to 'a personal problem'. :)