LaunchBox Community Forums

Some games not loading from mapped network drive

vertigoelectric

I'm trying to set up LB on a second computer.  It doesn't have enough storage space for all of my ROMs, so I keep those on my main computer and share them over the network.

After moving things around, I needed to fix the paths in the XML files and I've done all that, so every ROM is now pointing to the right location.  However, some of the games simply will not load.  I do not get the "ROM file not found" error, or any other message.  I haven't tested *every* game in *every* platform, but from what I've seen it seems to be an issue with certain platforms. 

Perhaps the ones with larger ROM files have a problem.  I figured loading larger games over the network might take a little bit more loading time to transfer the data, and I don't mind that, but it almost feels like it just gives up after a couple of seconds or less.

It might be worth noting that in some of these cases I will see Retroarch show up in the taskbar, as if starting up, but then it will just go away (i know this can happen if the core is missing, but that isn't the problem in this case).  Sometimes it doesn't launch Retroarch at all. 

Any ideas?

UPDATE:  PS2 games load, so I don't think it has to do with file size.

Edited by vertigoelectric

It is going to be quite difficult to get help without some type of error message. You would just be shooting in the dark.

A couple of things I can think of to test are: 1. make sure the permissions to the network location are correct. 2. Try starting a game from the network share via the command line using the emulator setup in LaunchBox. You may see a message that is hidden otherwise.

23 minutes ago, dragon57 said:

It is going to be quite difficult to get help without some type of error message. You would just be shooting in the dark.

A couple of things I can think of to test are: 1. make sure the permissions to the network location are correct. 2. Try starting a game from the network share via the command line using the emulator setup in LaunchBox. You may see a message that is hidden otherwise.

Ah, yes.  I agree.  It really isn't much to go on.  Still, I posted what I could in case someone else had any ideas.

However, just a little bit ago I discussed this with DOS76 on discord and after a little more troubleshooting I began to think that maybe the issue isn't a network related one.  That being said, I've decided to take a step back and re-setup some stuff and try again, then go from there.

Although, your suggestion about using the command line sounds like it might be helpful for debugging.  When you say "using the emulator setup in LaunchBox", what do you mean exactly?  Could you give me an example? 

Thanks!