LaunchBox Community Forums

Can dolphin bar for Wii work with nvidia shields PC streaming?

Tatts4Life

So the way I play games with launchbox my computer is in the back of our family room and an HDMI cable goes through the attic to our tv in the front of the room. Unless I can daisy chain a long usb cable to the tv I can't play Wii games right now. I was just thinking can I hook the dolphin bar to my nvidia shield and use GeForce streaming to play Wii games? Has anyone tried this kind of thing before?

I have mine set up using a nifty program for USB emulation program called VirtualHere.  This program emulates the dolphin bar like it was actually connected to your host PC (I actually went ahead and purchased a full version of the program as I have other use cases; however, you should be able to use the non-full version but I think there were some limitations....can't remember off the top of my head what they were).  Using VirtualHere allowed me to use the wiimotes as real remotes within Dolphin.  Here are the steps for setting this up:
- Plug the dolphin bar into an available usb port on your Shield (dont turn it on just yet)
- Install VirtualHere USB Server on your Shield and the VirtualHere client on your host PC
- Link up the VirtualHere USB Server on your Shield to the VirtualHere client on the host PC (use the Reverse client option within VirtualHere on the Shield to input the IP address of your host PC...you can't use the Easyfind feature if VirtualHere is not the full version).  You may need to enable reverse connections on VirtualHere client on host PC (right click on USB hubs in the software, click on Specify Hubs...click on Advance tab)
- Launch your gamestream session (I set up mstsc.exe to my host PC as my executable within gamestream)
- Launch Dolphin on your host PC and set your wiimotes up as Real Wii Remotes within the controller settings....also check continuous scanning.  Close Dolphin
- Turn on your dolphin bar and set to mode 4.  You should see drivers installing on your host PC
- Sync your wiimotes to your dolphin bar
- The next time you launch Dolphin and if your wiimotes are turned on, they should vibrate
- Try launching a game and see if controls work etc.

Lemme know if you run into any problems.  Enjoy!

Edited by iggy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So this is the only thread I've come across that has attempted to use the Mayflash Dolphinbar with the nvidia shield via Launchbox/bigbox. Is there any other way to get the dolphin bar to recognize my Wii remote without using a usb server app, or at least one that doesn't charge $50 to use the Easyfind feature that Vitualhere uses? 

The dolphin bar picks up the wii remote great when connected to my PC via USB, but not through the Shield via launchbox/gamestream.

Thank in advance for any helpful tips/advice.

Unfortunately, to get your wiimote set up to act like a real wiimote in Dolphin, you will need the help of the VirtualHere software.  You can still download the software and connect just one USB device (in this case, the dolphin bar).....any more USB connections and you will need to get a license....you don't need to use the Easy Find feature...instead use the reverse connections option in VirtualHere that's installed on your Shield and map to your PC via IP address (as long as you PC doesn't change IP you should be good to go).  Let me know if you run into any problems and I can replicate my set up for you.  The software does go on sale from time to time....I found it invaluable in my Shield setup and different peripherals I use with Launchbox.  Hope that helps!

• 2 years later...

So, I set this up following this guide. Server on my Nvidia Shield, Virtualhere Client on my PC. Set up Reverse Clients.
It worked three times now says I must purchase a license.
According to the documentation I should still be able to have one USB connection work for free.
Anyone else encounter this or know what I might need to tweak?