LaunchBox Community Forums

Is there anything bad about running LaunchBox in a separate location on the same computer? Not at the same time, of course, just in general.

PurpleTentacle

Wasn't 100% sure how LaunchBox stores its settings, and I wasn't sure if there was a cross-over in the file that they both refer to. For instance, ScvummVM stores an ini file in a generic spot of your file structure, so unless you use a command line parameter, ScvummVM references that no matter where ScummVM is installed. I'm mostly just worried about cross-cominating between the 2 copies I have on my computer. 

Related question - is there a recommended path to store LaunchBox in as an optimal way to make/keep it portable? I plan on giving a copy of my LaunchBox to a friend, and I want them to be able to just drag & drop the folder, and have everything be all setup. I'm guessing the best method would be to just make it like, D:\LaunchBox, and that way, at long as they have room on their D Drive (assuming they have one), they can just place it there & everything will match up. Currently it's in my "users" folder, and since that has a very specific path to it, I think it's not for the best (mostly in terms of ScummVM stuff). 

Speaking of buying copies, how do I buy a copy in their name? I looked at the buy option, and the first thing it asked me for was my name & address, so I didn't want to go any further to see if there was an option for naming the license to someone (I don't remember the details when I bought my copy).

all of the LB settings are self contained in the LB folder so having multiple instances is fine as there will be no settings getting confused between the two versions.

There isn't really a proper path and setting everything up inside the LB folder structure or even just having it all on the same drive should make it portable.

Don't know how you would go about registering it to another user you would probably need to use their name and address to have it registered to the correct person but maybe @Jason Carr could elaborate on that one.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, the only thing I'm worried about not syncing are things like my ScummVM games, which, in the past, I've used EpicFail's ScummVM Launcher, but that makes .bat files that give a specific path, as opposed to a path that is relative to LaunchBox's folder structure. I need to look into it more.

I think there might have been some other examples along those lines, but they're not too common, and with a bit of work, I think I can work around it.