LaunchBox Community Forums

retroarch vs snes9x

DannyShane

maybe im missing something in video setup, but i am using retroarch and snes9x emulator core and "alladin" was kind of flickery and not that smooth,  a very slight delay etc. it was not worth playing really. (i was just using alladin as a test)  but then i went into snes9x emulator stand alone, and it played great. graphics were perfect. 

a lot of people mention to use retroarch so i feel as though it must be my own error or a setting im not doing.  

if anyone has theirs setup, let me know if im missing something.  i went into "video" but not much there that i would know how to mess with so  i really dont think i messed anything up. ... yet. lol 

I don't know what your system specs are but RA cores do tend to have some slightly higher CPU requirements compared to their stand alone counterparts. But RA offers some stuff that the stand alone versions do not like reduced input and audio latency among other things.

It is possible your CPU isn't up to the task or maybe a setting that got changed in RA that is causing you some issues.

thanks man.  

I have an i5  Dell XPS 8300 running windows 7.
6 GB memory
AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series.

I feel like that should be good enough to run snes games, but im new to this. i did run a gamecube game with ity and ps2 games so far. 

i probably messed something up in video settings because its not that good at all in retroarch.  :(    i'll keep testing it. 

i deleted the cfg file but still the same look. im a little nervous to reinstall it and start from scratch because i dont want to mess up my gaming setup.  is it possible to install it on the same computer twice or will that mess things up?   im still messing around with it.  

LOL I feel like this is a setup. LOL

OK I had retroarch and snes9x pointing to two different sets of snes roms (the crappy one is from the mame 204 SL set). yes dumb mistake.  I wasn't going through LB because LB was busy downloading vids etc for a console.  I spent so much time messing with retroarch and snes9x - I didn't go to sleep til 7AM this morning. and woke up to mess with it again.  no work today thank god. 

The real DUMB part is that the entire time I was messing with it, It never even hit me until today that both emulators were playing a different game scene... retroarch (mame204 SL rom) started Aladdin off with a sword, while when I tested out snes9x he started out with apples (to throw).  then today I kept trying to figure out why the hell is it starting the game off at a different level. LOL  Yes I feel stupid. lol. 

what? LOL OK, so then maybe that's why the mame 204 SL  SNES set was playing bad anyway. It was listed in their set under a folder called SNES. So I was using the snes core instead of a genesis core. possibly they some genesis games inside the snes folder.. hmm, im curious now... I don't know why im curious, im not going to use that mame snes set anyway, but when I get home im going to load it with a genesis core and see if it works better.  

damn you know your stuff. 

LOL yep that's exactly the two verisons of Aladdin I had going. LOL  Im actually at work for a few hours but when I get home I will double check everything very specifically and analytically - because it has me curious. lol

Hopefully I wont be replying like "uh, I feel stupid again".  LOL

lol