LaunchBox Community Forums

roms handling: how to show the game name and file name

3dlollo

Hi,

I have multiple rom set for different console, and in some cases, multiple sets of the same type (like mame, since I have emulators running on android devices, windows and ps vita).

I did merge few sets, which ended up in having duplicate games for Arcade (using mame as emulator in Launchbox); and would like to clean up.

1) Can I have different sets of roms for the same category? So I can have Mame Win, Mame Vita, Mame android?

2) Can I display both the game name AND the file name in the UI? I can get this info only if I go to the edit page and see the actual rom/zip file.

3) is there a way to hide the extra game files, like the .sound files that comes with PC Engine games?

Thanks!

Not sure if I should post in the support area, send out a mail or the questions are not worth  the time; either way I had time to experiment.

Since I bought a license for this product; I tried different approach to get it to work; although the only usage I found is as replacement for my RPI in my arcade case. I think this is the main usage, since it doesn't seem to be possible to hold different sets of roms for a platform; unless you create instances of the library.

I thought this could be my one stop app to keep track of roms and such; but I was wrong. Not a problem, since the license was cheap enough, and I was planning to put a windows machine in my arcade cabinet anyway, so the extra big box features come in handy for that.

Found an interesting bug while trying to make different roms to co-exist ; which I will report in the appropriate area.

Thanks

On 1/12/2019 at 3:09 PM, 3dlollo said:

1) Can I have different sets of roms for the same category? So I can have Mame Win, Mame Vita, Mame android?

Launchbox is not intended to be used as a rom manager / organizer, especially for other systems such as Vita or Android.

2) Can I display both the game name AND the file name in the UI? I can get this info only if I go to the edit page and see the actual rom/zip file.

You can't in the main UI but you can in the Audit tool.

3) is there a way to hide the extra game files, like the .sound files that comes with PC Engine games?

Those extra sound files should not be imported, you only need to import the .cue sheet or whatever file the emulator needs to run the game.

Thanks, so it is as I thought.

Regarding #3 I see many files imported on top of the original game. The most evident example is with PC engine games, where I end up with a game file, and a .sound file; but when importing, I see 2 entry for that game. One has the thumbnail, the other a blank thumbnail. I was assuming that the app would filter them out but it seems that it is just importing them, thinking that they are actual roms. Not a big deal since I remove them manually, although every time I scan a folder again, they are added once again.

The best approach to this is to remove all the games from the platform and re-import only the .cue files (or whatever is appropriate for the emulator for that platform).

When you do the import don't just import the whole folder, use the Windows search function to look for *.cue in the main folder screenshot.4.thumb.jpg.c3eb2c79c2c40decffaede98316602d5.jpgscreenshot.5.thumb.jpg.32c1bca7718c3fd882517bf3adb54958.jpgand select those files only for the import.