LaunchBox Community Forums

Issue with Microsoft Wireless Controller adapter

Reevesad

Hi All, 

I recently bought the Microsoft wireless controller adapter and two Xbox one wireless controllers.

I setup both controllers for the all my emulators, retroarch, redream, dolphin Mame ect. which all worked fine the first time. and even after I've closed down my PC started it up again and it's worked okay.

The other day I started up my pc as normal and the controllers have been recognised by the wireless adapter and works with all the other emulators but Mame.

Mame does not recognise my controllers at all and looking at the mame tab menu after launching a game, all the player 1&2 controllers are now mapped to  the default "None".

After this happened the first time I opened up Mame within launchbox mapped the controllers again and saved configuration. Again it all worked having put my PC in sleep mode and then shutting down and rebooting. But again today I switch on the PC and boom the controllers not recognised in Mame as all keys defaulted to "None" 

So my question is does anybody have this type of setup that is working or who maybe has the same issue as me? 

Can anybody help? do I need another app to setup the controllers? or maybe a different way of setting this up?

Thanks, Adam

• 5 months later...

The issue is MAME will reset the controller bindings if it is ever started and the controllers are not online.

I don't know what other controllers you have attached to your system, but you might want to look at https://docs.mamedev.org/advanced/devicemap.html and set up mapping so your controller IDs don't change. 

On my system I map the devices that are always attached first, and then the XBOX wireless controllers as Joy3 and Joy4.

Than I config all the control how I want in MAME.

NOW, if you start MAME again and the wireless controllers aren't online, they will get reset, so to make sure that doesn't happen, set the default.cfg in the mame cfg folder to read only. If you change specific game bindings you will have to mark each of those as read only as well.

If you need to edit these bindings again, make the appropriate files read/write again, and only start MAME once the wireless controllers are online.

Reset to read only after making you changes.