LaunchBox Community Forums

Soft-patching ROMs with Retroarch

flatuswalrus

I have many Super Mario Bros. hacks for the NES (about one-hundred of them) which are all .ips and .bps files which are compatible with Retroarch as stated here. I did not initially know about soft-patching when I added them to my setup. I quickly learned that Retroarch does not launch the patch files directly. So, I created a copy of my standard Super Mario Bros. ROM file which is the .nes extension and renamed it to one of the .ips patch files so they match, then changed LaunchBox to launch the .nes file and It worked! Only things, when you have to do this manually one-hundred times it is annoying. I manually did it all though and it only took about five minutes. I know this could be done with a batch file but I am not good with those, anyways.

I thought I would post this because I did not really see anything on this forum (I may have just not searched hard enough) about this particular topic and thought anyone who searches about this in the future may get some help.

As you can see here I have added title-screen and game-play shot as well as game info:

image.thumb.png.dc8d0e70a38ca1be62dc5cdf8ae73d03.pngHas anyone else done much with this on their setup? I love hacks of games like Mario and Sonic and have tons of them on my Launchbox.

Edited by Dane
  • Unusual Gem 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry for reviving the thread but I was wondering if you had figured a better approach?

I would've loved an automatic way to do it. Do you know if there is a way to program/customize importers? (Sometimes I wish it were open source)

If not big thanks for the solution. It's elegant, simple and I feel dumb for not figuring it out earlier

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, faviann said:

Sorry for reviving the thread but I was wondering if you had figured a better approach?

I would've loved an automatic way to do it. Do you know if there is a way to program/customize importers? (Sometimes I wish it were open source)

If not big thanks for the solution. It's elegant, simple and I feel dumb for not figuring it out earlier

Howdy, I have not come up with a better solution. Since finding hack for games is such a manual process of adding notes and images for each game I do not think there is much that can be done. The only thing would be a batch file if you are making a copy of the exact same game and naming it something different many times as per the patch files. Though, to use my Mario hacks category as an example some of the hacks required different variants like region so I could not do that to the every game. It was pretty quick though because I would just have every region ROM and make a quick copy of it for each patch I found. Very annoying compared to LB's regular platforms which are mostly automatic but it was done out of love for these hacks so I could bare it. If this thread did help at all it is nice to know but sorry I did and do not not have a simpler solution.

• Thanks 1