LaunchBox Community Forums

Issue running NES games via RetroArch

h_ros

Hi!

I'm new to Launchbox and have issues getting NES games to play under Retroarch. Current setup is LB v9.5 and Retroarch v1.7.6. I have imported a bunch of SNES and NES games from a No-Intro collection. All the SNES  games are working fine (running the SNES9x_2010 core) while I have a lot of issues running NES games (7zip-format). A strange issue is that one of about 100 games that I have tester to run is actually working. So some part of the setup must be ok. Anyone who knows what could cause this kind of limited amount of games running.

What core are you using for the NES ? If you are using the Nestopia core you should have the NstDatabase.xml file placed in your Retroarch\System folder, this file helps out with compatibility.

Try the Mesen or Fceumm cores and see if you have better luck with those, Mesen is the best core but does require a slightly more powerful CPU to run it.

I tried downloading the Mesen exe and core. I have no issue running the games in Mesen stand alone. What do I need to do to get the Mesen core as one of the drop-down alternatives when I configure in the Retroarch setup, as its not one of the default cores. Thanks for the previous input.

Hi again. I did download the Mesen core and info file. I can run the core from RetroArch, but the core is not an option the list (as shown in your picture) when I configure the emulator from LB. Perhaps I should have downloaded the Mesen core from within RetroArch, but there I had only the standard NES cores to pick form. So I downloaded them manually and placed it in the core folder. BTW regarding your previous reply on the Nestopia code, I do not have a NstDatabase.xml under my systems folder.